What's new

Making RT-AC87U my primary wireless source on Uverse

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maddog-99

New Around Here
Team,

Im a noob here but somewhat smart on electronics.
And I need your help...

I have ATT Uverse gigabit ethernet with their stock (crap) wireless modem/router.

I bought the RT-AC87U & love that it has strong signal strength.
Now comes the moment of truth of setting up the RT unit to be my wireless source for all TVs, Cellphones, etc, in my home & to turn off the other.

But how do I do that?
Is it as simple as putting the RT into bridge mode & then hard wiring it to my ATT unit (while also disabling wireless on my ATT unit). I know I cant have both units doing DHCP & assigning IP addresses, but I dont specifically know what to do.

Can someone please help with directions on what configs I need to change.

Thank you

Chris

The best way to do this with Uverse is to put the AT&T Uverse modem in bridge mode or psuedo bridge mode and then just plug the Asus router from it's WAN port into one of the Uverse modem/gateway LAN Ethernet ports. There are several ways to do bridge mode type setup on the Uverse modem/gateway. It depends on the model of Uverse modem you are using. You will need to set the LAN IPs to be different. See these details below...

If you can't do a type of bridge mode on the Uverse gateway for some reason then you could put the Asus router as it's IP shows up in the Uverse settings in the DMZ (or DMZ+) of the AT&T modem (read DMZ instructions for the Uverse modem you are using) but you should be able to find the setting in the Uverse modem for a type of bridge mode pass through.

Either way you will need to have the two router LANs on different IP subnets... for example Uverse router LAN on 192.168.1.1 or it's best to leave whatever it's default is and set the Asus router LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 (or 192.168.3.1) or whatever you decide as long as both are not the same. Just remember the IPs for each device so you can access and log into them separately in Administrative mode to make settings changes.

Once everything is set up and working turn off the wireless radios on the AT&T Uverse wireless gateway modem and only use the Asus wireless radios so you don't crowd your own area with wireless signal you don't use (unless you need to use the Uverse wireless radio in addition to the Asus).

How you go about this is dependent on the brand and model of Uverse modem you have been provided. The Asus router I set up at a business location using Uverse was in combination with the NVG589 model and it worked fine. It's not difficult at all to do if you have the right instructions to follow. You can get help on the AT&T support site or just Google search for help setting up your model of Uverse modem in bridge mode.

Here is a link with more details how to do this with the Motorola NVG589 ...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-...n-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/td-p/3552057

Here is another link with more information that you should read before doing this so you don't lose any functionality with your Uverse services (TV, phone, etc.) when making settings changes...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

Last edited:
If you can't do a type of bridge mode on the Uverse gateway for some reason then you could put the Asus router as it's IP shows up in the Uverse settings in the DMZ (or DMZ+) of the AT&T modem (read DMZ instructions for the Uverse modem you are using) but you should be able to find the setting in the Uverse modem for a type of bridge mode pass through.

That is the recommended way with uVerse, esp. if they're also delivering IPTV and voice service - can disable the onboard wireless and put a Router/AP in the DMZ...

That is the recommended way with uVerse, esp. if they're also delivering IPTV and voice service - can disable the onboard wireless and put a Router/AP in the DMZ...
Yep, I can't remember at this time but I think I ended up using the DMZ+ option. It worked fine. The Uverse was for the dual WAN fail over secondary connection so it is just needed to work as a backup.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!