What's new

Making sense of AV500 Compatibility between models / vendors...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
Hi there,

Sorry if I'm putting too much into one thread, but I don't want to over-create topics.

1) In my house, I have two powerline adaptors. Specifically, I have the PLA4225KIT. One has the 4-port switch. For the single port adaptor, this is unfortunately behind a surge protector. Obviously, this is not ideal, and the quick fix is to get a passthrough adaptor. Assuming I want to stay with the same vendor, my two options are the PLA4211 or PLA4215. That's the Amazon link.... I can't find either of those two products on their USA website. From what I can tell, the only difference is "fast ethernet" vs. "gigabit ethernet." I'm inclined to pick the "fast ethernet" version, as the adaptor itself caps out at 500mbps, which I know is unrealistic, but it's still half the bandwidth of the gigabit port... so I don't get the point of that. Is there some internal chipset difference that would make it not work well with the 4-port adaptor? I'm just confused by this...

2) in my parents' house, which is much larger than mine, they have two Netgear XAV5004 adaptors and one Netgear XAVB5001 adaptor. These are discontinued, but they appear to be standard AV500 devices... I need to add one more adaptor, and this one needs a pass-through adaptor since there aren't extra power ports. It looks like the XAVB5421 is the best bet. Is this going to work just fine? Do they use similar chipsets? Will I be able to enable encryption across all of the devices?

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate the knowledge.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!