What's new

Manage NordVPN recommended servers through addons API page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can someone with a non-HND router send me the output of the below please?
Code:
nvram show | grep vpn_client | grep cust

John's fork:
Code:
vpn_client1_custom=remote-random
vpn_client2_custom=
vpn_client_custom=remote-random
Thanks. On my HND 86u there's 3 variables and it's base64 encoded, so definitely need to handle it differently across platforms

Maybe you meant this:
Code:
# nvram get vpn_client1_custom
remote-random
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
remote-cert-tls server
pull
fast-io

Maybe you meant this:
Code:
# nvram get vpn_client1_custom
remote-random
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
remote-cert-tls server
pull
fast-io
Ok so non-hnd routers store the values as literals. Thanks!

:)
Code:
Jun 20 04:00:01 RT-AC86U warning nvpnmgr: Retrieving recommended VPN server using NordVPN API
Jun 20 04:00:03 RT-AC86U warning nvpnmgr: Updating VPN client 2 to recommended NordVPN server
Jun 20 04:00:03 RT-AC86U notice rc_service: service 20770:notify_rc stop_vpnclient2
Jun 20 04:00:06 RT-AC86U notice rc_service: service 21555:notify_rc start_vpnclient2
Jun 20 04:00:07 RT-AC86U warning nvpnmgr: VPN client 2 updated successfully (UK1398 Standard TCP)

I think I'm at a point where it's stable enough for alpha testing, if anyone wants to have a go? https://github.com/jackyaz/nvpnmgr

No WebUI yet, but should be fully functional for CLI menu
How granular can you get with this? Does it setup NordVPN for the whole network or segment it or specify one client to use it? I can see a need for each. Once again thanks for running with this project @Jack Yaz

Possible to custom edit the dns configuration setting?
I use diversion and every time I update the VPN using the script I need to change the dns setting the “disabled” afterward.

Sample for the WebUI
e2678531b2.png

Possible to custom edit the dns configuration setting?
I use diversion and every time I update the VPN using the script I need to change the dns setting the “disabled” afterward.
I've changed it so Accept DNS and Block clients will now only be set if the IP address for the VPN client is blank, i.e. if this is the first time the VPN is being set up

agh it's always complicated cross-model

EDIT: What's a good way to test for John's fork, uname -o?
Yes, but I see you’re already there.

If you need to encode/decode base64 in your script, you can use openssl enc -a to encode and openssl enc -d -a to decode. It might be more “transparent” than setting a user’s nvram var to a “mysterious” base64 encoded string.

If you need to encode/decode base64 in your script, you can use openssl enc -a to encode and openssl enc -d -a to decode. It might be more “transparent” than setting a user’s nvram var to a “mysterious” base64 encoded string.
I considered that but left as it currently is since the plain text variant is next to it in the code, plus it can be checked in the Custom Config section of the VPN client screen for the curious/paranoid :)

I considered that but left as it currently is since the plain text variant is next to it in the code, plus it can be checked in the Custom Config section of the VPN client screen for the curious/paranoid :)
I might change it in the develop branch, TBD. Just finished tweaking the CLI code to read/write to a config file in preparation for the WebUI to do the same

what's the advantage of
Code:
openssl enc -a
verus
Code:
openssl bas64
if any?

what's the advantage of
Code:
openssl enc -a
verus
Code:
openssl bas64
if any?
-a and -base64 are equivalent.
Code:
-a/-base64     base64 encode/decode, depending on encryption flag
oh, I see, you can use base64 in place of enc. It was undocumented in openssl -h.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!