What's new

Massive Throughput Reduction with QOS on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveC

New Around Here
Hello,

I play games and have been trying to minimize my network's latency to improve this experience. Also, I am hosing a LAN party soon where my network will have to support eight computers, so I have a bit of pressure on my to provide a good "low latency" experience, and my time is running out, so any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated.

In my quest to create a low latency network. I've been doing some research I learned about bufferbloat and tested my connector on dslreports speedtest. I did quite badly!

I heard fq_codel could help my bad latency situation. I have an Asus RT-AC86U. I installed Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9. I enabled Adaptive QOS on manual mode. I put in 85% of my maximum measured throughput (249Mbps/18Mbps) for both up and down. The result is I get a great buffer bloat score (A), but, my throughput is actually cut down to about 5% of my maximum! i.e. (14Mbps down/ 8Mbps up)

My settings in details are as follows:

Enable QoS
QoS Type:
Adaptive
Bandwith Setting: Manual Setting
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead: Cable (DOCSIS) 18
ATM (not checked)
Upload Bandwidth: 211 Mb/s
Download Bandwidth: 15 Mb/s
Optimized for: Games

What do I make of this? Is this a normal trade off? I don't think so because, people claim to be getting at least the 85% of their bandwidth with QOS and fq_codel. How do I get good latency and throughput simultaneous? Is this a reasonable goal?

Traditional QOS acts similarly.

As a middle ground I just put on the bandwidth limiter QOS setting for my computer

Enable QoS
QoS Type:
Bandwidth Limiter
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead: Cable (DOCSIS) 18
ATM (not checked)
Upload Bandwidth: 211 Mb/s (Target: my computer)
Download Bandwidth: 15 Mb/s (Target: my computer)

With these settings I get close the bandwidth I set and bufferbloat is improved but not as good as with Adaptive QOS. That is I can get a score of A on dslreports, but, more often get a lesser score. Also, the problem with this is I will have to give a fraction 85% maximum bandwidth to each host on my network and I have to manually specify this after they plug in as it is based on MAC addresses. This is inflexible and I don't like it.

On a related note, I replaced my Hitron CDA3-20 for a TP-Link 7650, to avoid the PUMA 6 latency issue, but, still have bandwidth issues.

Hope someone can help! Thanks for reading this.

Dave