What's new

McDebian initial setup - not quite n00b

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EEdev1984

New Around Here
I recently managed to get away from that awful DD-WRT firmware, and I've installled the latest McDebian image to my WRT3200ACM

Now, I'm not a total n00b with Linux, but I could really use some help figuring this out, and I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble following Chadster766's instructions!

First off, I can't figure out how to get these network interfaces setup. Can't ping 8.8.8.8 from the router, although I did manage to get my pc and the router set to static IPs so I can SSH now. But no dhcp, no wireless yet.

I have these interfaces when I do ifconfig:
  • br0
  • eth0
  • eth1
  • lo
  • wlan0
  • wlan1
I'm guessing that the two wlan's are my 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, but which is the Ethernet WAN interface that's connected to my modem/isp? How can I get this setup?
Chadster766 gave a basic rundown of the configurations, which I'm sure makes sense to people who actually know Linux , but there's a lot I don't understand. Can anyone clue me into some of the basics of setting up a Linux machine to act as a router? I don't even know what to google lol

You should reach out to @chadster766 directly - he's active over on the linksys support forums...

If I recall, he has a github where you can open issues there...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!