What's new

Media Bridge Died, Replacements?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tario70

Occasional Visitor
So, upgrade time because part of my network setup died.

I currently have a D-Link DIR-825 router with a D-Link DAP-1522 (this died tonight). Been looking to upgrade & now I pretty much have to.

So what to do? Been looking at the TP-Link Archer C2600 (should have got it when it was $188 a few days ago) but I need a media bridge to connect my devices downstairs (I cannot drill & run a wire).

So, here's the deal, what would be the better setup?

I can wait on the router portion because I have a very specific need that the ASUS RT-AC87U couldn't fulfill so I had to return it (I need WoL to work but I could never get it to repeatedly work on the ASUS. I realize this will be 100% trial & error at this point for future routers).

For the media bridge portion should I?

• Get the Archer C7 AC1750 & enable WDS Bridging for the my downstairs area & connect wirelessly to my DIR-825... (I'm open to other options here too)
OR
  • Get the D-Link Powerline AV2 2000 adapters with an un-managed switch & hope that works. I truly have zero idea if the wiring at my place will be good enough.

So there it is. I need a new media bridge basically & I'm thinking I should plan ahead for a future upgrade as the DIR-825 was purchased before the DAP-1522 so I can't imagine it won't be too long before it dies too.

Thoughts?

Perhaps just the AC Adapter died?

Before going down the road of spending much money, replacing the AC adapter is a fairly low cost troubleshooting measure.

I would buy the powerline adapters from a place you can return them if they do not work. They work well at my house.

Perhaps just the AC Adapter died?

Before going down the road of spending much money, replacing the AC adapter is a fairly low cost troubleshooting measure.

I'll take a look at that. Guess my big thing is that I do see some of the lights on the DAP-1522, jut not all.

Look, I get DLink isn't liked around here but I had the above combo since their release & they've worked flawlessly with stock firmware that is very good.

As for my issue/question...

As a fix I picked this up:

TRENDnet TEW-811DRU AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router with DD-WRT Support $20@Newegg

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/8323031

Will flash DD-WRT on it & use it as a bridge.