What's new

Merlin and AiMesh - main node only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chichow

Regular Contributor
Hi Forum

I am running a wireless AiMesh configuration with a mix of Merlin on the main router and some nodes and stock Asus on other nodes.
I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything conclusive regarding mixing Merlin and the stock firmware when running AiMesh.

Would the following be correct?

All Merlin > Merlin main router / Stock nodes > Merlin main router / Merlin and stock nodes

Your combos should work.

Hi Forum

I am running a wireless AiMesh configuration with a mix of Merlin on the main router and some nodes and stock Asus on other nodes.
I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything conclusive regarding mixing Merlin and the stock firmware when running AiMesh.

Would the following be correct?

All Merlin > Merlin main router / Stock nodes > Merlin main router / Merlin and stock nodes

Merlin used to recommend stock on the AiMesh nodes (I'm not sure if he still does). In any case, AiMesh code is closed source, so Merlin doesn't add anything to a straight AiMesh node over stock unless you are doing something special on the Node that requires Merlin (I'm guessing that is rare). Also, current Asus stock releases are usually a little newer than the current Merlin release (usually takes Merlin a month or two to roll in the updates), so you could be slightly better off running the node on stock.

The one thing you should really do is keep the same base versions (not sure if that is the correct word) of each if you mix .i.e 386 & 386. Don't mix 384 stock with 386 Merlin, etc.

Last edited:
Yes

I pulled a RP-AC55 from my network as an Asus node as Asus currently has it only on 384

Version 3.0.0.4.384.83130

Merlin used to recommend stock on the AiMesh nodes (I'm not sure if he still does). In any case, AiMesh code is closed source, so Merlin doesn't add anything to a straight AiMesh node over stock unless you are doing something special on the Node that requires Merlin (I'm guessing that is rare). Also, current Asus stock releases are usually a little newer than the current Merlin release (usually takes Merlin a month or two to roll in the updates), so you could be slightly better off running the node on stock.

<snip>

I have been following the recommendation of stock on nodes but recently was wondering if that was still the current advice. Node performance seems to be spotty as of late so I was looking to see if there were any updates. I'm running an RT-AC86u as my main (Merlin 386.2_4) and a stock RT-AC68u as a node. The stock 68u firmware is still 386.41994 from February whereas Merlin's 386.2 is based on 386.42095. So presumably in this case it would be better to switch the node to Merlin to be more up to date?

Merlin on Main, stock on nodes working great with my configuration.

I have been following the recommendation of stock on nodes but recently was wondering if that was still the current advice. Node performance seems to be spotty as of late so I was looking to see if there were any updates. I'm running an RT-AC86u as my main (Merlin 386.2_4) and a stock RT-AC68u as a node. The stock 68u firmware is still 386.41994 from February whereas Merlin's 386.2 is based on 386.42095. So presumably in this case it would be better to switch the node to Merlin to be more up to date?

I'm not sure what RMerlin's current advice is on this, last I read, he recommended stock on nodes, but that was years ago. I haven't seen a more recent recommendation one way or the other from him (but he might have more recent recommendation--I just haven't seen one).

I'm doing Merlin on both and everything is working well.