What's new

Merlin install on RT-AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyclops13

New Around Here
Hi! So I recently got the Asus RT-AC1900 from Walmart and while setting it up I upgraded the firmware to the latest one without reading much about it. Looks like it was a bad idea.

After it was upgraded, I flashed the latest Merlin firmware through the restoration tool and that messed up the router. I tried flashing back the Asus firmware again through the restoration tool but it seems to be stuck in some bootloop.

Is there anyway to revive it or I bricked it?

Also, I have another router (same model) which came with firmware 3.0.0.4.380_1842-g7414eb9. I just set it up and did not update the firmware, everything is working good.

If I want to install Merlin on this stock firmware, what are steps? This time I do not want to screw up and research before updating or flashing it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For normal flashing,you dont need the restoration tool to flash between Asus and Merlin. Just flash normally from the GUI ( Admin tab-Firmware Upgrade)

Now for the bootloop, first thing to try is to clear nvram: (from the wiki)

*If your router fails to boot due to corrupted/invalid nvram settings, then you will have to turn off the router, press the WPS button , then turn on the router,keep holding wps. Wait about 10 seconds(til power led flash rapidly), then release the WPS button.Wait 3 min and reconfig if succesfull.

It failed?
Then try with the Rescue mode. ( now you need Restoration tool :) .)
This is the tutorial, you need to do all the steps :

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030652/

Thats not how it happened for me. When my firmware was upgraded to latest, I was not able to flash Merlin through the router GUI. It was showing the message about regulatory compliance and would not flash the merlin firmware.

After I flashed merlin through the restoration tool, the router booted with no wifi and then later sometime it started bootlooping (all the LED's will come on after every 30 secs or so). Tried all these steps you pointed multiple times, but no luck.

What is the correct way to install merlin? I want to get a confirmed method to try on my other router.

Thanks....

Thats not how it happened for me. When my firmware was upgraded to latest, I was not able to flash Merlin through the router GUI. It was showing the message about regulatory compliance and would not flash the merlin firmware.

This means you tried to flash either the wrong firmware, or the wrong version. Make sure you do get the latest version, which at this time is 380.66_4. If you tried to flash an older 376 or 378 build, it might not be compatible with your router's revision...

This means you tried to flash either the wrong firmware, or the wrong version. Make sure you do get the latest version, which at this time is 380.66_4. If you tried to flash an older 376 or 378 build, it might not be compatible with your router's revision...

Hey, first of all thanks for your efforts towards the development of the firmware.

I did download the latest firmware and installed it through the GUI. Is it as simple as that, or are there any steps to follow? I can try it again on the other router I have which is running stock firmware 3.0.0.4.380_1842-g7414eb9, but just being very cautious now.

Any tips on how can I revive the one which is bootlooping?

I did download the latest firmware and installed it through the GUI. Is it as simple as that, or are there any steps to follow?

What was the exact firmware version you tried to flash? "latest" is a very subjective word. I've seen numerous times people thought they were having the "latest" when what they did is download the first version they found at the top of the list, which is actually the oldest version available.

It was showing the message about regulatory compliance and would not flash the merlin firmware.

This definitely indicates that you tried to flash a firmware version older than 380.60. And forcing the flash of such an old version on unsupported hardware is also the reason why the router would boot loop afterward.

Any tips on how can I revive the one which is bootlooping?

Turn the router on while pressing the reset button. Wait a few secs, the power LED should begin flashing. Release the button, then use Asus's Firmware Recovery tool to reflash it.

What was the exact firmware version you tried to flash? "latest" is a very subjective word. I've seen numerous times people thought they were having the "latest" when what they did is download the first version they found at the top of the list, which is actually the oldest version available.

This definitely indicates that you tried to flash a firmware version older than 380.60. And forcing the flash of such an old version on unsupported hardware is also the reason why the router would boot loop afterward.

Turn the router on while pressing the reset button. Wait a few secs, the power LED should begin flashing. Release the button, then use Asus's Firmware Recovery tool to reflash it.

This is the version I flashed, first tried through GUI and then later through restoration tool. RT-AC88U_380.66_4.trx

I already did it a couple of times. Reflashed both, Merlin and Stock firmwares. How long does it takes to reboot after the message saying install successful, please wait for the router to reboot? I will try one more time now. Wondering if its some hardware issue..

On my other working router, can I just flash the 380.66_4 version directly through GUI?

This the wrong version ! o_O You have an RT-AC1900 ,you need RT-AC68U_380.66_4.trx firmware

Oh... That was a big blunder from my side! :eek:

I will download it and try installing through the restoration tool. Not sure if it will work or I have already screwed up the router... Because later I tried installing the stock Asus firmware (correct version) but it still did not work.. Will see.

Doh. It flashed like a champ with the correct version. Cant believe I wasted so many hours on this!

Thanks all for your inputs! :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!