What's new

Merlin + IVPN + WireGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
Does anyone have experience yet with the WireGuard protocol for their VPN connection with Merlin's firmware? I saw that IVPN (www.ivpn.com) is offering VPN access with WireGuard. It promises a massive speed boost compared to existing protocols. I'm hesitant to test it out since it says that "WireGuard protocol is currently under heavy development and should be considered experimental. At this time we do not recommend using WireGuard except for testing or in situations where security is not critical." I would like to test it, but my test router (AC-88U) died on Monday night and I can't have it on the other two routers since they run productive networks.

WireGuard caught my attention a while ago as well, and I ran it on my desktop when AzireVPN had a free trail on to test their servers. It worked very well from what I could tell; it's now part of Azire's paid offerings.
The general consensus around here as I recall is that while a good deal of the more modern hardware is up to the task, the software kernel used isn't compatible with what WireGuard requires. This is unfortunate, but it's Asus' decision, and RMerlin builds on their foundation.
That said, don't let me discourage you: there are some threads on SNB - possibly even in this subforum - where people have attempted installing WireGuard on their routers, and I believe some of them have even made it work.