What's new

Merlin on AX56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superspeed

New Around Here
I got a new AX56U, the soc is BCM 6755 with quad-core 1.5G Hz. It has 250M flash and 512M RAM. Is it possible to be supported by Merlin? Thanks.

And I wouldn't bet that it will be either. If/when RMerlin decides to support this model is when I would consider buying it then.

Please look at the stickies at the top of this forum, this has been answered many times already. ;)

If your just looking for a stable router there is nothing wrong with Asus stock firmware and in some cases is less of a head ache. I have the RT-AX58U and it has been more then solid using stock firmware. I don't really need all the features Merlin brings to the game. That said it would be nice if Merlin would support these new AX routers and move on to the future but it seems he has no interest in doing so.

Remember this is a side job for him so he makes the rules and understandable. But don't be afraid of buying what you want just because Eric don't support it. I have been very happy with my AX58 and will continue to be so. :)

If your just looking for a stable router there is nothing wrong with Asus stock firmware and in some cases is less of a head ache. I have the RT-AX58U and it has been more then solid using stock firmware. I don't really need all the features Merlin brings to the game. That said it would be nice if Merlin would support these new AX routers and move on to the future but it seems he has no interest in doing so.

Remember this is a side job for him so he makes the rules and understandable. But don't be afraid of buying what you want just because Eric don't support it. I have been very happy with my AX58 and will continue to be so. :)

I just picked up a 58U from Best Buy. So far it’s been pretty good in terms of speed and range. Rock solid WiFi. I’m going to use it in a mesh with my RT-AX88U and see how it goes. For $179 it’s a really good deal.

Is it possible to install Skynet onto an AX56U? or the AX58U?

@randomName, no. RMerlin is required because stock firmware doesn't have the necessary tools/code built-in.

I just picked up a 58U from Best Buy. So far it’s been pretty good in terms of speed and range. Rock solid WiFi. I’m going to use it in a mesh with my RT-AX88U and see how it goes. For $179 it’s a really good deal.

So far so good, I’m running my AX88U on merlins beta 1 and the AX58U on stock asus firmware. AiMesh setup had no issues and right now I have smart connect enabled and it’s working perfect. Currently on WiFi backhaul and it’s working well, I’m going to hardwire the 58U pretty soon and see how that works.
No complaints and a happy camper here.

So far so good, I’m running my AX88U on merlins beta 1 and the AX58U on stock asus firmware. AiMesh setup had no issues and right now I have smart connect enabled and it’s working perfect. Currently on WiFi backhaul and it’s working well, I’m going to hardwire the 58U pretty soon and see how that works.
No complaints and a happy camper here.

Excellent news glad it's working well. I believe the AX58U will be a popular router, my local best buy says they cant keep them on the shelf. :D;)

Good question Gar. Not sure they do look the same. Have to check the specs on both. Maybe the AX3000 has the Intel chip were the AX58U has the broadcom but just a guess.

Reactions: Gar
Good question Gar. Not sure they do look the same. Have to check the specs on both. Maybe the AX3000 has the Intel chip were the AX58U has the broadcom but just a guess.

I’ll check but I’ve used three different intel based AX3000 routers. The TP-Link Ax3000, the Netgear AX4 and the 58U.
The 58U outperformed the other two by a wide margin, it actually comes pretty close in performance to my AX88U but YMMV. I believe the 58U is specifically sold by BB, if you check Asus website it’s the only place you can buy it. The AX3000 is sold by everyone else. Pretty sure they’re the same.

The RT-AX58U is Broadcom-based. It uses a lower-end chip than the flagship RT-AX88U.

I took a look a bit ago and you’re correct.

There was some initial confusion after the initial announcement, probably caused by that tri-core processor. However the firmware code clearly shows it's a Broadcom platform, it shares the same basic SDK as the RT-AX88U, but uses a lower-end processor.

AX58 and AX3000 same except for naming, or different chipsets?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!