What's new

Merlin on Tenda W1800R ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woody1

Occasional Visitor
I've read that the hardware for the Tenda W1800R/W1801R is the same as the AC66U (but with 16Mb flash). See specs here: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Tenda_W1800R

I have 2 of them on order that I'm going to set up for friends.

These routers can be flashed with Tomato Shibby. Has anybody tried running Asus-Merlin on this device?

These routers can be flashed with Tomato Shibby. Has anybody tried running Asus-Merlin on this device?
This was already discussed: x-flashing of one vendors firmware (=Asus) to other brands hardware is not supported (even if it works) and is most likely illegal due to licenses give/paid by the original vendor!

This was already discussed: x-flashing of one vendors firmware (=Asus) to other brands hardware is not supported (even if it works) and is most likely illegal due to licenses give/paid by the original vendor!

Hmm.. I understood that the Asus firmware was released under GPL (except for proprietary wireless drivers). If the Tenda has the same hardware and uses the same drivers, then wouldn't the drivers already be licensed? Does the Asus GPL stipulate that the code can only be used on Asus devices?

Forget it...too little flash...
I was afraid that would be the case. Oh, well, hopefully the Tomato F/W will do the job. The people who will be using these routers aren't going to be doing anything very exotic with them, so basic features will be enough.

Hmm.. I understood that the Asus firmware was released under GPL (except for proprietary wireless drivers). If the Tenda has the same hardware and uses the same drivers, then wouldn't the drivers already be licensed? Does the Asus GPL stipulate that the code can only be used on Asus devices?

There's more than the wireless drivers that are proprietary. Asus also pays separate licenses for access to the following technologies:

- Tuxera (for their NTFS/HFS+ filesystem driver)
- Trend Micro (for their DPI engine, and WRS security service)
- Cloudcheck

There are also a number of Asus proprietary technologies in there, such as AiCloud, and which aren't licensed for other manufacturers.

Those are not part of the Broadcom license that Tenda owns, so they can't legally be used on any non-Asus router.

There's more than the wireless drivers that are proprietary. Asus also pays separate licenses for access to the following technologies:

- Tuxera (for their NTFS/HFS+ filesystem driver)
- Trend Micro (for their DPI engine, and WRS security service)
- Cloudcheck

There are also a number of Asus proprietary technologies in there, such as AiCloud, and which aren't licensed for other manufacturers.

Those are not part of the Broadcom license that Tenda owns, so they can't legally be used on any non-Asus router.

OK, Good to know!