What's new

Merlin or stock firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

I've been using Merlin's firmware for about 10 years through various models of Asus router. My requirements for a router are very minimal and simple. I don't use VPN, or QoS, or any advanced features. I may setup an AIMesh with two routers, but that's as complicated as my use cases get.

I bought an AX88U for the WiFi 6 capabilities, and have been using the Merlin version of the ASUSWRT firmware on it, but wondering if I'd be better off just sticking with stock firmware at this point. It seems like Merlin now has to rationalize his dev work on multiple devices, and the stability benefits over the stock ASUS firmware aren't what they once were years ago.

Anyone have any thoughts on anything I'd be giving up going back to stock firmware, or anything to be aware of given I haven't used stock firmware in a long time?

You decide what YOU need most: my features, or Asus, latest features. It depends on your personal needs.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Hi, even if you don't use 'advanced features' and all you need is supported by stock firmware I'd stick with Merlin because in case of problems you have a much more responsive platform to help you here... and you have the peace of mind of knowing that you can also go stock as a last resource. Plus eventually the 'latest features' end up in Merlin also in a couple of weeks.

In any case it is quite easy to swap from one to another, specially for simple installations as you described yours.

You decide what YOU need most: my features, or Asus, latest features. It depends on your personal needs.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Your firmware has always been the default for me.

I haven't really used the Asus stock firmware in a decade, which was more the issue for me. Is stability still an issue?

I started using the Merlin firmware because of the generally rock solid reliability. Your post on your forum seemed to indicate you were concerned that changes to the way Asus is releasing code for various hardware could lead to reliability concerns.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Your firmware has always been the default for me.

I haven't really used the Asus stock firmware in a decade, which was more the issue for me. Is stability still an issue?

I started using the Merlin firmware because of the generally rock solid reliability. Your post on your forum seemed to indicate you were concerned that changes to the way Asus is releasing code for various hardware could lead to reliability concerns.

Perhaps your misinterpreting ongoing development challenges with stability ...

I found the stock AX88U firmware quite stable but so are the Merlin releases.

But there have been problems with stock over time which often don't show up in Merlin.
Occasionally problems show up in Merlin but that's going to happen with any firmware.

The problem is that the stock firmware does often have quite annoying and IMHO sometimes quite serious problems that continue for way too long.

One advantage is Merlin isn't going to be immediately up to date with the latest stock releases (yes, I claim that's an advantage) because of the work required to merge together the stock and Merlin updates. So there's an opportunity for Merlin to pick the least problematic stock releases when updating and avoid the more problematic ones.

I think that alone makes Merlin a good choice ...

No, it doesn't crash left and right by looking at it funny, like it used to back in 2012, where PPTP VPNs caused spontaneous reboots, SMB access caused spontaneous reboots, having a WDTV on your network caused... you get the idea. :)

Availability issues, not reliability.

seeing as Merlin isn't even doing firmware for the AX11000 (and rightfully so - it's a PITA), I'd stick with stock Asus on the AX88

I recently bought a RT-AX88U after years of faithful service from my RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin. I initially installed 384_17 but QoS doesn't seem to work nicely on it and I wanted to see if the latest stock firmware fixed some bugs in the WiFi drivers. I also wanted to align with the latest stock firmware on my RT-AX56U AiMesh nodes.

My experience is that I miss a few features on Merlin straight away mainly around understanding what's going on in my network - DHCP, QoS, traffic etc have all got enhanced functions in Merlin. I also use QoS and FQ_Codel (which I see the OP doesn't need) but in short I'll be going back to Merlin once 384_18 is more finalised for my routers.

There is a currently a bit of a bump in the road as Asus change their QoS categories so I'll stick with 384.9107 before 384_18, although I wonder if I'd have been better on 384_16 or even 384_15 (pre-WiFi driver update) as 384_17 doesn't work well with QoS for me even with FreshJR.

So in summary as someone who jumped back to stock, I can't wait to return to Merlin.

I've used Merlin firmware for so long now, spanning my last three routers, that it's become the norm and I don't actually know what features and functionality I would lose going back to stock.

I've been using Merlin since my rt 16 , still using it on mY AC5300 . Just picked up an AX 92U that will be used for a while , if no Merlin FW is made for it I'll sell it and buy a model that is supported . b een 10 years and have yet tohave a FW problem

I just recently switched from the stock firmware to Merlin. I’ve had my rt-ax88u for over three months. This is my first ASUS router. Up until the most recent stock firmware update I hadn’t noticed any issues. Once I updated to 9107 I saw an immediate drop in performance (buffering while streaming, high latency while playing CoD on PS4). I tried a couple of things but nothing fixed the performance issues and again I could tie it back to the 9107 update. I was reluctant to move to Merlin until I actually looked into it. Firstly, I didn’t realize how easy it is to switch to Merlin (I thought it was more of a process). Secondly, once I switched over the performance issues I had experienced were gone. Thirdly, Merlin firmware offers a lot more (more than I care for, but will experiment with over time). Lastly, I’ve read on here that Merlin was more stable after firmware updates and now I can also say that. The simple fact that the performance issues were gone after switching to Merlin are enough for me to keep using it going forward. The extra options aren’t necessarily something I care for anymore (I just want to enjoy my high speed internet and game online lol), but again the fact that it’s there is nice.

I ran Merlin on my retired AC88U for years. Bought a AX92U when WAN port on AC88U got flaky before I realized no Merlin. Missing DoT in particular.
IMHO, stick to Merlin supported devices.

I ran Merlin on my retired AC88U for years. Bought a AX92U when WAN port on AC88U got flaky before I realized no Merlin. Missing DoT in particular.
IMHO, stick to Merlin supported devices.
That is just what i'm going to do , just to bad there are no 3 band new routers getting Merlin support , guess i'm stuck with the 5300 and 3200

Hi,I'm New to Asus, coming from a garbage wrt3200acm using ddwrt (DDWRT DID ALL IT COULD DO BUT MARVELL HAS DROPPED SUPPORT). I will be receiving a AX88U soon (free via work reward). After re
ading these posts and several sites about stock vs merlin, it seems like merlin gives me a lot what I want. However my concern, perhaps not, is it better to go with the nov 16 stock release until merlin catches up or it is pretty safe to go with the latest stable merlin release? Thanks for your advice.

DoT is there, scheduled reboots available, dnsmasq is default DNS/DHCP server in Asuswrt, I don't remember user selectable DNSSEC. Get the router first, update to latest Asuswrt available - take a look. If you don't find what you need - flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top, reset the router and go from there. You can flash back and forth Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin in GUI. No special procedures needed.

DoT is there, scheduled reboots available, dnsmasq is default DNS/DHCP server in Asuswrt, I don't remember user selectable DNSSEC. Get the router first, update to latest Asuswrt available - take a look. If you don't find what you need - flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top, reset the router and go from there. You can flash back and forth Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin in GUI. No special procedures needed.
Great thanks! I appreciate your time. Happy holidays!

Since my last post, I have set up my new rt-ax88u router using the latest Nov. 16th stock fw. After some tweeks, it is running well. However, although it has a lot to offer, there seems to be several Ui improvements and capabilities which only seem possible with asuswrt-merlin. Ie, jffs, scripting, dnsmasq customizations, diversion, etc. (Yes i read a lot, incl. github).
Having said this, a recommendation would be appreciated:
Should I go with the stable 386.3_2 version now or wait until a new 386.4 stable version? By reading the beta1 thread, it is hard to judge if release will be soon, january or even later as I am not sure if BAU is to have beta2 round before deploying to stable.
Thanks for your time.

Should I go with the stable 386.3_2 version now or wait until a new 386.4 stable version?

It's up to you. If you want to experiment, install 386.3_2 and play with it. Upgrade to 386.4 when it becomes available, having more experience. If you want to play safe and simple, stay on stock Asuswrt. It's stable and with enough features for most users. It's your router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!