What's new

Merlin versus Stock on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paolo-sydney

New Around Here
I have read most of the posts about Merlin for 68U version. I've been using non stock firmware for years on Tp-Link routers, mostly Gargoyle. I recently upgraded to a 2nd hand 68U for a bit more performance, which I now have. 1/2 of me wants to upgrade to Merlin just because I like to play around with firmware. However, since we're all working from home, very conscious not to break the internet during Zoom calls and the like. WiFi dropouts would be a disaster. So, I understand from a wired network point of view, there is no difference between Merlin and Stock, for WiFi there seems to be a few problems with Merlin more than Stock. Correct? I could use the Custom DNS functions on Merlin but overall, it does seem like the compelling reason to switch.

The only compelling reason I could imagine is using USB tethering to my phone in case my cable internet drops out, which does happen periodically. I could not get it to work on Stock, is Merlin any better?

For a generally basic user, what are the main compelling reasons to switch? On my network I have 1 wired PC, 1 wifi PC and 1 Gaming PC (wired), plus a printer and a NAS (all wired). I'd really like to find the compelling reason to switch but it need to be rock solid. So, anyone got any great reasons to switch.

for WiFi there seems to be a few problems with Merlin more than Stock. Correct?

There isn't. WIfi is closed source, so the code is 100% identical.