What's new

Mesh for Wifi calling. Tips, settings and advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leerees

I've started this thread to get feedback from people who like me have setup a mesh network with the aim of having flawless wifi calling.

As a starting point, after months of trial and error, I now have a mesh network of AX92u's connected to a gigabit symmetrical FTTH internet connection.

Other routers I've tried, which all offered worse wifi calling connectivity:
Orbi, Google nest, Deco. All of these mesh AP's dropped calls or suffered stuttering or jitter problems.

The main issue I still face is this:

1) Sometimes when people ring, they get voicemail, despite the phone not loosing it's WiFi. This problem has plagued me since the beginning (even on non-mesh routers). The reason I settled on the AX92u's is because they have eliminated all the other problems. My AX92u's are running the latest stock firmware.

Internet connections:
As this forum is US centric I won't ramble on about internet providers. All I'll say is I've tried 5 different ISP's and settled on my current one as the ping to the telco is less than 6ms, jitter is 0ms - 0.2ms, Whenever I run the speed test I get the full speed both up and down.

If you've suffered the voicemail issue and found a fix, I would really appreciate if you could share your solution. Even if you don't have a fix, please reply so we can work towards a solution.

I've started this thread to get feedback from people who like me have setup a mesh network with the aim of having flawless wifi calling.

As a starting point, after months of trial and error, I now have a mesh network of AX92u's connected to a gigabit symmetrical FTTH internet connection.

Other routers I've tried, which all offered worse wifi calling connectivity:
Orbi, Google nest, Deco. All of these mesh AP's dropped calls or suffered stuttering or jitter problems.

The main issue I still face is this:

1) Sometimes when people ring, they get voicemail, despite the phone not loosing it's WiFi. This problem has plagued me since the beginning (even on non-mesh routers). The reason I settled on the AX92u's is because they have eliminated all the other problems. My AX92u's are running the latest stock firmware.

Internet connections:
As this forum is US centric I won't ramble on about internet providers. All I'll say is I've tried 5 different ISP's and settled on my current one as the ping to the telco is less than 6ms, jitter is 0ms - 0.2ms, Whenever I run the speed test I get the full speed both up and down.

If you've suffered the voicemail issue and found a fix, I would really appreciate if you could share your solution. Even if you don't have a fix, please reply so we can work towards a solution.

How many rings are set until voicemail? Maybe the issue is on the cellular service/mobile.

I have cable Internet with Google Fi mobile service (cellular) ringing a Google Fi Nexus 5x mobile (designed ground up for WiFi calling); and Internet Telephony service (ITSP) ringing a Grandstream Wave Lite softphone app (no push) on various Android mobiles; all running over my wireless AiMesh.

Calls over both services over WiFi to the Google Fi mobile typically ring through ring-for-ring for both the native Google Fi phone app and the Wave softphone app used for ITSP service. The first ring or two of ITSP calls to the Wave softphone app running on my other Android mobiles may occasionally go missing. I attribute these lost ring(s) to the vagaries of ITSP (SIP) calls routing over the open Internet, and to my various Android mobiles with Wave softphone app getting their act together to receive the call. I don't think my AiMesh WiFi is introducing significant delays or dropping packets... this would be sloppy/defective/interfered networking that would impact other usage, imo.

My ITSP service is DIY bring-your-own-device; and AiMesh has been a work-in-progress for the last 3 years; so I've spent some time playing with all of this.

The Google Fi mobile service (hers) will send you additional free data-only Nano SIMs for use in other mobiles. So, my only mobile service now is ITSP service and softphone apps running over data-only cellular service or WiFi. Works pretty good... my home phone rings directly everywhere... may add a buck of calling data cost to her monthly bill.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. My phone is set to ring 10 times, most of the time it works however sometimes the phone just doesn't ring and the caller gets diverted straight to voicemail. I've lost a few extremely important calls to this.

Unfortunately, Google never launched fi in the UK. I've not considered a softphone service yet. Does it kill the battery life on android devices? I receive around 100 calls a day and already have to charge my phone at least twice a day.

Thanks for replying. My phone is set to ring 10 times, most of the time it works however sometimes the phone just doesn't ring and the caller gets diverted straight to voicemail. I've lost a few extremely important calls to this.

Unfortunately, Google never launched fi in the UK. I've not considered a softphone service yet. Does it kill the battery life on android devices? I receive around 100 calls a day and already have to charge my phone at least twice a day.

Just came across this thread. I have been experiencing issues with jitter/call quality. I am using an Asus ax88u and a OnePlus 8 pro, both on their latest respective firmwares. What I've come to realize is that the issue for me can be isolated to WiFi 6. When I use my wifi 6 compatible Oneplus 8 pro with a wireless AC connection, my VoWifi calls are flawless. The moment I use AX (which as an aside let's me send and receive at almost a gigabit per second from my phone) , my call quality degrades. My better half recently got a new Iphone which is also AX compatible. I don't think she is having the issues that I am, however. Will report back with more findings. I am certain that we can't be the only ones with this issue.

Thanks
Just came across this thread. I have been experiencing issues with jitter/call quality. I am using an Asus ax88u and a OnePlus 8 pro, both on their latest respective firmwares. What I've come to realize is that the issue for me can be isolated to WiFi 6. When I use my wifi 6 compatible Oneplus 8 pro with a wireless AC connection, my VoWifi calls are flawless. The moment I use AX (which as an aside let's me send and receive at almost a gigabit per second from my phone) , my call quality degrades. My better half recently got a new Iphone which is also AX compatible. I don't think she is having the issues that I am, however. Will report back with more findings. I am certain that we can't be the only ones with this issue.

My network doesn't offer AX client access. Our problems are on AC. Are you missing calls completely or just suffering jitter on AX?

Walking around whilst on the phone can produce artifacts / jitter on a call. This could be due to beamforming or local wifi traffic. I'm aware of this issue and try to stay in one place when on a call. The main problem I'm having is some calls just don't get through. There's been periods of hours where the phone is completely unreachable (calls go straight to voicemail).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!