What's new

Mesh Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpaul

New Around Here
I've just upgraded our cable modem and experiencing radically different download speeds on our mesh network depending on which router/node I'm attached to.

Network:
Router RT-AC88U
Nodes RT-AC1900p (2)
Laptop modem AC 5GHz

1900s are on ethernet back to 88U. All firmware is up to date.

Speeds observed:
450 mbps wired from cable modem to computer
450 mbps wired at end of cat6 run from 88U to where 1990p sits
390 mbps wireless within a few feet of the 88U
280 mbps wireless within a few feet of the 1900p with wire cat6 back to 88U
Same speed on second 1900p node

I'm not a gamer and not necessarily concerned with throughput since our bandwidth requirements are likely lots less than what's coming from the 1900p, I'm just curious why the big hit. The 1900s are supposed to get 1300 mbps when used as a router.

NAT acceleration is on. No steering enabled. A little disappointed given the screaming throughput on the 88U.

Thanks for any advice, clues.

Disconnect the ethernet cable to the 1900P node and re-test. Any change?
Now reports being offline -- when I look at the nodes it says offline and doesn't report a wireless connection to the 88U. It offers two options on the drop down. Auto or Wired. I have it on auto and it's not connecting via wireless so I assume it was set up that way when I commissioned it. The node is separated from the router by two floors.

Now reports being offline -- when I look at the nodes it says offline and doesn't report a wireless connection to the 88U. It offers two options on the drop down. Auto or Wired. I have it on auto and it's not connecting via wireless so I assume it was set up that way when I commissioned it. The node is separated from the router by two floors.
OK, best to leave it set explicitly to Wired (and re-connect the cable of course).
You might want to turn off Airtime Fairness, and all Beamforming settings.

OK, best to leave it set explicitly to Wired (and re-connect the cable of course).
You might want to turn off Airtime Fairness, and all Beamforming settings.
Thanks. Done and no difference. I'm starting to think settings aren't the root of the problem and that slow throughput is a feature of Asus's mesh solution. I wonder if others have had experiences different from mine.

I've taken the issue to Asus, they've promised an engineer will reach out to help diagnose. Will post any findings.

I'm starting to think I should ditch the mesh mode and run the three units as a router/AP setup. Now figuring out what I'd be gaining, losing. Single SSID in mesh is helpful for family with wireless devices roaming around the house.

You don't need "mesh" to roam on a single SSID. Roaming is a client function although access points can improve the speed and quality of roaming through standards-based hints to supported clients and perhaps a bit of "secret sauce". "Mesh" is more about a single point of management, automatic configuration of wireless backhaul, and automatic optimization of the frequencies and channels used by the access points.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!