What's new

MetaGeek Moves To Pay Model For New inSSIDer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed that when I went to open up the android version I saw there was a new version. Then I opened up the store and saw it was $10. Sorry but they just lost me as a user. I have other WiFi scanners on my device that were free or at most $2.

Also the free inssider is gone from both the Play store and Amazon store so I deleted it. Also it lagged much and was buggy. No point in keeping a app that will never be updated.
I did keep v2 on my laptop as it is the only version I like. I only need it to check the WiFi channels. V3 was terrible anyway.

Last edited:
Where is the Amped version? Google and Bing search give me nothing to download.

They advertise a mac version, yet its not in the app store on my mac. So I don't see it existing. As with others, I agree, $20 bucks is too high. $10 maybe. Guess Ill keep using Wifi Scanner on my mac

They advertise a mac version, yet its not in the app store on my mac. So I don't see it existing. As with others, I agree, $20 bucks is too high. $10 maybe. Guess Ill keep using Wifi Scanner on my mac

On Mac - current versions of OS X include a scanner...

Option-Click on the Airport Icon in the menu-bar - select "Open Wireless Diagnostics" - it'll prompt you for the Admin password - enter and you'll see a window called appropriately enough, "Wireless Diagnostics" - go up to the "Window" menu on the menu-bar, and select Utilities...

This brings up a tool that allows many options:

1) Basic Info for your wireless link
2) Frame Capture - allow you to capture frames that you can then import into WireShark - it'll put a .wcap on your desktop
3) Logging - this gives additional options that you can drop into your Mac syslog
4) Wi-Fi Scan - hit the "Scan Now" button, and it'll show your AP, along with Neighbors - and propose a channel selection - be wary of this, as it considers your own AP a neighbor...
5) Performance - will show the signal quality, RSSI, Noise, Tx Rate, active SSID/BSSID, and active channel in use for the current WiFi connection in a charted manner...

Handy tool... and built into Mac OS X 10.9

Also - there's a low-cost, but very useful tool in the Mac AppStore - WiFi Explorer By Adrian Granados

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304?mt=12

It's 3 dollars in the US - it's basically the same things as InSSIDer, but in a more Mac friendly manner.

Tremendous bang for the buck here.

OMG mac osx has that kinda stuff built in?! wish windows had that!!!

LOL, that's why a lot of us run Solitaire/Outlook Shell (Windows) as a VM - Mac and VMWare/Parallel's sorts out the complicated stuff :p

Until things go wrong... and then, we have some real network tools to sort things out.

20$ is indeed expensive in these days where a similar application can be had for under 5$ on a mobile device with almost exact functionalities (and often for even less). I bought a licence because I do use it more often than an average home user might, but I can't recommend anyone else to pay that much considering what the tool does.

At a first glance, I see nothing but the 802.11ac support being new over the previous free version I had installed here. That might be why all the previous free versions also seem to have disappeared from their website, otherwise there would be next to no reason for 90% of the users to pay 20$ for it.

I wish I had kept an older installer, so I could provide it to people who just need a 2 minutes look at their surrounding networks. So if anyone has a free alternative to recommend for such trivial needs, I'm interested...

to be honest its a good job you didnt, as if they find out they likely would have pushed you to remove the download link.

wifi analyzer is free on android, does enough for me.

to be honest its a good job you didnt, as if they find out they likely would have pushed you to remove the download link.

Based on what grounds? If older versions are freely available, they can't retroactively revoke that.

Beside, a 15 seconds search on Google pointed me to a well-known software download site that still had it available for download.

I dont know :) I am all for you doing it, but I just wonder if you get some kind of take down notice :)

I just found 3.1.2.1 which I assume is the good free version? is on my hdd now should I need it :)

but wifi analyzer is pretty good anyway I have always diagnosed with that.

I dont know :) I am all for you doing it, but I just wonder if you get some kind of take down notice :)

I just found 3.1.2.1 which I assume is the good free version? is on my hdd now should I need it :)

but wifi analyzer is pretty good anyway I have always diagnosed with that.

I mostly use wifi analyzer as well these days. I just wish they had an ads-free paid version.

Tough crowd. $20 is really gonna break the bank, eh? I agree it is a tad high. But they can always lower the price...tougher to raise it.

I also agree they should have a timed trial so that buyers can check the new features and decide if the pay version is worth it.

MetaGeek is not removing inSSIDer from the download sites where it is currently hosted. Unfortunately, Download.com and Softsonic bundle it with their ad-supported installers.

Looks like this PC World review has an inSSIDer only installer. http://www.pcworld.com/article/232252/inssider.html

The free Android version is also available in Google Play.

Hmmm,
No matter what, if 20.00 is expensive or ripoff, instead of ranting just don't buy it. I think you can use it on two computers for 20.00 license. Some people even pay 20.00 for a cup of fancy coffee these days. There are some garbages, junks costing more than 20.00 out there and some folks willingly buy them. Older version is plenty around to download yet. I have many tools on my work bench costing LOT more sitting idle. But when I bought it I needed it desperately, it was priceless. One example is noise generator/bridge to work on antenna, or frequency counter, spectrum analyzer, tube tester(yes, I still work on tube gears),etc. Most often used is only O'cope.

Some people even pay 20.00 for a cup of fancy coffee these days.
I am sick when people say that. But it is cheaper or just as much as a cup of coffee. Get real. Not everyone has a debut or credit card.

I am sick when people say that. But it is cheaper or just as much as a cup of coffee. Get real. Not everyone has a debut or credit card.

Well, it's more about how much value someone puts on a product - in the new App economy, every seems to want everything for free...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!