What's new

Minimum Patch Length?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PinkFloydEffect

Regular Contributor
I was about to re-cable our entire patch rack with 12" cables until one of my coworkers mentioned a minimum patch cable length of 3 meters. I want to move our switches up directly below each patch panel so that I can eliminate the cable management rows with a direct shot from the patch panels to the switches.

I was under the impression this applies to linking switches but not from the switch to a patch panel? The patch panel only terminates a patch cable to the Ethernet runs so I do not see how it would have a negative affect? We are using 48 port Cisco 3750s if that makes any difference, and my intended patch cables would be Cat6 from 12-18"

I have seen this often done on a YouTube channel by the name of FiberNinja which is where I got the idea from.

Thoughts?

Personally I'd never heard of a minimum length for Cat5e/6 patch cables. We must have had 100+ 1 meter cables in our patch cabinets. If it's not allowed why are all the cable suppliers selling 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 meter cables? (Although I never used anything less than 0.5 m in a cabinet).

Looking at Google the minimum length argument seems to be a myth based on some misreading of the specs. They do need to be good quality (i.e. upto spec.) cables though.

Back in the day, we used 1000's of short patch cables. 8", 12" were the ideal lengths in our particular setup and came directly from the manufacturer of the equipment.

I still have a couple 4" cables I use today.

Man it has been waaaaaay too many years since I had to think about this....but if I am recalling correctly, this was back in the days of hubs. I don't think it really applied in the switch days anymore?? And it was between devices, not patch panels.

@PinkFloydEffect - Your coworker would be wrong, plain and simple. There is effectively no minimum for patch cable length, and you can find pre-made patch in as short as 6-inch lengths from almost every major vendor out there. So go ahead with 1-foot'ers, 6-inchers, whatever the use-case calls for. You'll be just fine.