What's new

Mining Bitcoins with Merlin/ Entware/ Optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amplatfus

Hi,

I was just thinking, do we have possibility to do mining bitcoins using Asus routers?
I searched a little bit and did find only Mining Bitcoins with OpenWrt this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/bitcoinmining

Thank you!

That link is talking about using OpenWRT with a hardware miner. Do you have one?

The CPU on the router itself is faaaaaaaar too slow to do any useful mining without an external miner.

That link is talking about using OpenWRT with a hardware miner. Do you have one?

The CPU on the router itself is faaaaaaaar too slow to do any useful mining without an external miner.
No. I have AC88U powerd by Merlin FW. But did not found out anything related to Merlin/ Entware/ Optware.

No. I have AC88U powerd by Merlin FW. But did not found out anything related to Merlin/ Entware/ Optware.

Like I said, the CPU is too slow.

If you want to do any useful mining you need to get a hardware ASIC miner because otherwise you will likely be paying more for the electricity required to run the CPU/GPU than the money you (could) earn by successfully mining a block.

Initially CPUs were used for mining, then GPUs, now it's ASICs (in order of increasing efficiency). You will lose money if you mine with a CPU, especially the very slow CPU on your router.

It would take a massive botnet of "ARM router" bitcoin miners to see a profit. Another type of malware to be aware of?