What's new

MIT scientists develop groundbreaking new WiFi that's three-times faster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

microchip

Very Senior Member
So its basically MU-MIMO + mesh wifi.

No, it's not that...

It's a bit different, and has nothing to do with MU or Mesh - it's coordinated MIMO across different AP's...

Devil's in the details with it, and it'll be hard to commercialize - interesting research, but MIT isn't the only one working on things like this.

In any event - we're getting so close to the Shannon Limit, things like this are incremental at best...

We keep finding ways to push it, and with WiFi, we're actually closer to that limit than LTE or WAN Fibre...

And once that limit is hit, it's all just noise...

That's the practical limit that the startup I was part of hit with Mesh, and this is the same limit that hits MU...

MU gets to a point where the channel is totally saturated - no more coherent energy can be put into the channel and extracted at the other end, as Eb/No is a hard limit - and that's what worries me about MU - it's not the local BSS, it's the adjacent BSS that can suffer...

Things like MU, QAM1024, this MegaMIMO - these are all technologies on the long tail - and they're out in the parking lot picking up nickels so to speak... spending a lot of time to get little benefit within the construct we consider WiFi with backwards compatibility going all the way back to 802.11 (pre-B) and 802.11a.

My sidebar thoughts here is that we've hit a practical limit with CMSA/CA in WiFi that perhaps we need to go to a scheduled MAC, where we do collision detection rather than avoidance, but this isn't backwards compatible with WiFi, but in the time domain, does help...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!