What's new

Mobile phone as ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeremy Dale

New Around Here
New here, hi guys!

I am undergoing a switch in internet providers. In my area only two ISPs exist and after trying both, I decided to go a different route. So I purchased a Moto E AT&T GoPhone that has unlimited data (first 4GB at high speed), and have been tethering it to devices around my home for my internet connection.

However, this isn't working out so well, as it's built in wireless isn't fast enough to transmit data for my purposes.

My setup is as follows:

Living room Windows 7 HTPC (AC Wireless)
Bedroom Windows 10 HTPC (AC Wireless)
6TB External HD for media storage
Linksys WRT1900AC router (Ordered from New Egg, not yet recieved)
Moto E (internet source)

I was happy with the hotspot feature, so I tried hooking it up to an old router via USB tethering which did not work. So then I USB tethered it to one of my HTPCs, and bridged the connection to that LAN port and hooked that up to a router.

This worked fine, except that it doesn't include that PC on the Home network (therefore I cannot stream files to/from this PC.

So I thought about using a USB OTG ethernet adapter to hook the ethernet directly from the phone to the router. However, from all the information I can find, you cannot simultaneously use OTG and charge the device (which means the phone would die probably once a day, and I'd have to turn off the internet to charge it)... not ideal.

My only other thought is to load the DD-WRT firmware to my new router, and hope that allows an option to USB tether directly to the router. However, looking at the DD-WRT website, it lists it under the "supported device list" but not in the router database, and I cannot locate the software for it.

I can hook up my media storage to either PC or to the router, it doesn't matter as long as I have the AC wireless network connected to all 3, so I can stream all of it's content in either location.

Please help out, I'm not that experienced with anything other than simple DSL/Cable/Wifi networking.

Thanks!

some routers with usb ports can support a usb modem so you can attach your phone to it or use a mobile modem.
Other routers support using a WiFi connection as a WAN connection.

My asus 87u has this option
3G/4G
Switch to USB mode to use a 3G/4G USB wireless dongle or Android phone as a USB modem. Support
I think all Asus routers support this feature

I am undergoing a switch in internet providers. In my area only two ISPs exist and after trying both, I decided to go a different route. So I purchased a Moto E AT&T GoPhone that has unlimited data (first 4GB at high speed), and have been tethering it to devices around my home for my internet connection.

AT&T offers the Unite Pro wireless hotspot on their pre-paid plans... dual band N600, and very decent WiFi performance compared to a smartphone... Better LTE performance as well..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!