What's new

MoCA 2.0 Actiontech ECB6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I posted earlier in this very thread that mine are full speed with an ECB2500C also connected.

Out of curiosity what speeds do you obtain at each step with the following test case?:
1: ECB6200 <-> ECB6200
then
2: ECB6200 <-> ECB2500C
then back to
3: ECB6200 <-> ECB6200

I just got a pair (ECB6200k02) from B&H. They had the latest firmware.

I tested them with a direct cable connect, using the cable offered by the package. I observed a strange behavior. The bandwidth never exceeded 400mbps in iperf2 or iperf3 tests. However, when I tried copying some huge files between two computers, I was able to see the bandwidth reached around 850~900mbps.

Ain't the adapters iperf friendly?

Out of curiosity what speeds do you obtain at each step with the following test case?:
1: ECB6200 <-> ECB6200
then
2: ECB6200 <-> ECB2500C
then back to
3: ECB6200 <-> ECB6200

I didn't record the numbers, but I didn't see any change in speed before and after testing to the ECB2500C.

I think I need help... I have been running the Actiontec ECB2500C adapters for several years now, connected properly to our Time Warner Cable issued modem/router box with no problem. TWC recently increased our speeds up to 200Mbps (Google Fiber is coming to our town and TWC is scrambling) but it required that we update our modem. So I took the opportunity to upgrade to a nice Netgear CM500 modem and Netgear Nighthawk X4 router. Both are working properly and we are getting the advertised 200Mbps download speeds, which is great. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing all kinds of loss in speed on the devices connected using the adapters. For example, if I connect my laptop directly to the router I get 230Mbps but if I connect it via ethernet to one of my adapters I'm only getting 10Mbps!!!

A tech support guy at Actiontec told me that the ECB2500 adapters should still be working and that I do not need to upgrade to the ECB6200. He said that it might be a problem with our DVR causing the whole system to operate at a slower speed but I'm not sure its that simple. Could that be it?

Or could it be that the modem I chose is not MoCA certified?? It says that its set up for DOCSIS 3.0 but doesn't mention its MoCA rating at all or compatibility. Or is there something I'm missing in the chain somewhere with my setup? Thanks for any advice you all might have!

I think I need help... I have been running the Actiontec ECB2500C adapters for several years now, connected properly to our Time Warner Cable issued modem/router box with no problem. TWC recently increased our speeds up to 200Mbps (Google Fiber is coming to our town and TWC is scrambling) but it required that we update our modem. So I took the opportunity to upgrade to a nice Netgear CM500 modem and Netgear Nighthawk X4 router. Both are working properly and we are getting the advertised 200Mbps download speeds, which is great. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing all kinds of loss in speed on the devices connected using the adapters. For example, if I connect my laptop directly to the router I get 230Mbps but if I connect it via ethernet to one of my adapters I'm only getting 10Mbps!!!

A tech support guy at Actiontec told me that the ECB2500 adapters should still be working and that I do not need to upgrade to the ECB6200. He said that it might be a problem with our DVR causing the whole system to operate at a slower speed but I'm not sure its that simple. Could that be it?

Or could it be that the modem I chose is not MoCA certified?? It says that its set up for DOCSIS 3.0 but doesn't mention its MoCA rating at all or compatibility. Or is there something I'm missing in the chain somewhere with my setup? Thanks for any advice you all might have!

If you are using a separate router, then the modem should be out of play. It should be set up in bridge mode and it simply provides internet connectivity to the router. The modem doesn't need to be MOCA certified (if there is even such a thing for a modem). The router then provides the internet connectivity to the MOCA adapter and the MOCA adapter sends that internet signal over the coax to your other MOCA adapter(s).

I'm certainly not the expert, but I also use 2 ECB2500C adapters and don't have any issues. What else changed when you upgraded your modem and router? Splitters, configuration, etc?

if I connect it via ethernet to one of my adapters I'm only getting 10Mbps!!!

My math may be wrong, but what you are seeing is the right speed for those adapters. What speeds were you expecting?

I just tested mine with a simply file copy and was getting 11, that's what they are basically advertised at.

My math may be wrong, but what you are seeing is the right speed for those adapters. What speeds were you expecting?

I just tested mine with a simply file copy and was getting 11, that's what they are basically advertised at.

I think you're confusing megabits, megabytes, etc. CooperLily was saying that they saw 230Mbps on a speed test via wifi and 10Mbps when connected via ethernet to the MOCA adapter. That shouldn't be happening. Even with a MOCA 1.1 adapter (all of them are limited to 100Mbps speeds due to the lack of a gigabit port), speed tests should be around 90-95 MBps.

CooperLily21, Yes, my MoCA adapters run a speedtest at about 95Mbps...Comcast recently raised our internet speed from 25/4 to 150/12, and the MoCA adapters are fine, just running faster now since there's enough internet speed to fully use their bandwidth. As the other poster said, adding splitters that are the wrong kind can be a problem, a DVR setup that now uses MoCA can be a problem, etc. I heard that Comcast X1 uses MoCA for it's infrastructure, so some new use of MoCA may have been introduced. We don't have Comcast X1, but if we got it I'm not sure what kind of interactions might be introduced.

Not sure if you could disable/remove the DVR for a little while to see if that's the problem? Disabling the DVR may or may not disable it's effect on your MoCA infrastructure, but you could try that.

Last four days I've been having issues with one of the pair of ECB6200 randomly restarting itself or the Ethernet dying, evidenced by monitoring alerts and port down/up logs on the switch it's attached to. Looks like I'm going to have to put an RMA request in with Actiontec. Might try reflashing firmware on the affected unit and swapping the power adapters around first to see if the trouble follows.

Code:
27 Notice Jan 10 01:05:45 LLDP LLDP Remote Table Change: Inserts: 2, Deletes: 1, Drops: 0, Ageouts: 0.
26 Info Jan 10 01:05:12 Ports Link up on port 1.
25 Notice Jan 10 01:05:11 LLDP LLDP Remote Table Change: Inserts: 1, Deletes: 1, Drops: 0, Ageouts: 0.
24 Info Jan 10 01:05:03 Ports Link down on port 1.

Last four days I've been having issues with one of the pair of ECB6200 randomly restarting itself or the Ethernet dying, evidenced by monitoring alerts and port down/up logs on the switch it's attached to. Looks like I'm going to have to put an RMA request in with Actiontec. Might try reflashing firmware on the affected unit and swapping the power adapters around first to see if the trouble follows.

Code:
27 Notice Jan 10 01:05:45 LLDP LLDP Remote Table Change: Inserts: 2, Deletes: 1, Drops: 0, Ageouts: 0.
26 Info Jan 10 01:05:12 Ports Link up on port 1.
25 Notice Jan 10 01:05:11 LLDP LLDP Remote Table Change: Inserts: 1, Deletes: 1, Drops: 0, Ageouts: 0.
24 Info Jan 10 01:05:03 Ports Link down on port 1.

Haven't had any outages (knock on wood) since I power cycled the adapters on both sides of the connection, no other changes. Hopefully Actiontec is working on further firmware updates to correct outstanding issues, the ECB2500C these replaced were rock solid stable.

A quick update. I seem to have isolate the issue to one device on the network. If my Samsung tv is wired into the switch the issue occurs. If I leave it out everything is fine. I have tried this with a different switch and the same issue happened. This wasn't happening with my ECB 2500.

So We finally got to the problem. It wasn't a device on my network after all. After going back and forth with Actiontec support for months now they sent me a new beta firmware driver for the ECB6000 and that did the trick. So far since I applied the beta firmware I have had no issues.

So We finally got to the problem. It wasn't a device on my network after all. After going back and forth with Actiontec support for months now they sent me a new beta firmware driver for the ECB6000 and that did the trick. So far since I applied the beta firmware I have had no issues.

Is this firmware any different than the one we used to update our 6200s? Is it compatible with both models?

Is this firmware any different than the one we used to update our 6200s? Is it compatible with both models?

It seems its 6000 specific.
Before I applied the firmware I was on EN2810.1.03.05.83
After I apply the firmware i am on version EN2850.1.54.06.89

Folks,

If anyone is having transfer issues with a nas style system using either NFS or CIFS share I suggest you set your tcp send/receive window sizes to 1 megabyte. I've been able to get really good transfer rates in doing so. Around 110mb/sec. Previously I was capped at 35mb/sec for my write speeds.

Whether or not this is addressed by a future firmware issue I don't know, but I've forwarded my findings to ActionTek.

Hi everyone, I picked up a pair of ECB6000s a couple months ago. While my speed tests have been great (400-600mbps), I've noticed an issue that is sort of making them worthless, heh.

I have one in my office coming off a gigabit switch that's fed by my Ubiquiti router and another one in my living room that's plugged into an 8port gigabit switch. Then all my entertainment stuff is plugged into that. That includes an LG TV, Xbox One, Wii U, Tivo Premier, Apple TV 4, and an Airport Express that I use as a WiFi Access point.

I was super excited at having so much bandwidth to play with (especially since this feeds my downstairs access point). But then I started noticing that whenever I had data piping through it at the same time from 2 different "things", data got weird. It's almost like data being used by 1 device is blocking another.

I use an app on my Apple TV called Channels (http://getchannels.com). It streams live TV from a network tuner. It works great, but if I'm on my phone loading web pages, the live video will drop frames and get very degraded. I wouldn't expect this to happen since there's so much bandwidth provided by the ECB6000. It definitely feels like things are blocking.

I hope this makes some sense. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Should I try to replace the switch? Would updated firmware help this issue? I saw Rove mention beta firmware. Also, how do you even update the firmware on this thing, heh. There's no real kind of admin interface.

Thanks so much for any help.

I just got my two ECB6200 bridges from B&H (for $150, same price as Amazon but actually in stock).

Overall I am very pleased. My configuration is pretty simple since I am in an apartment:

Drop > 2-way splitter #1
#1 Leg A -> Cable Modem
#1 Leg B -> 2-way splitter #2
#2 Leg A -> ECB6200 #1
#2 Leg B -> ECB6200 #2 (input)
ECB6200 #2 (output) -> Comcast X1 box

Total cable run between the ECB6200s is about 40 feet. The cable is all RG-6, splitters are 1GHz rated Extreme Broadband (I also have MoCA certified splitters but haven't used them yet).

I am on band D (high). I also enabled MoCA privacy, which was a bit of a pain because of the crappy web UI on the ECB6200.

Overall I am extremely pleased. I am seeing 110MB/s of CIFS throughput between my two machines, which (according to Task Manager) is around 980Mbps once you factor in overhead. Effectively, in my case, the connection is very close to the Ethernet throughput. In comparison, my 5GHz 80MHz 2x2 802.11ac setup over the same distance can only manage around 250Mbps and often drops below 150Mbps for brief periods (since I am in an apartment complex the interference situation stinks).

The MoCA latency is also a lot better than wireless in my situation - consistently 2-3ms instead of 15-30ms with random bursts to 100ms.

Overall the ECB6200 seems like a pretty good product especially in a situation like mine with relatively short runs.

Hi, any chance you could upload that file somewhere we can all get at it? Please and thank you.

Hello, I just installed a pair of ECB6200 adapters and the best speed I was able to get with iPerf is 630Mbps. I noticed that in the configuration screen of the ECB6200 it shows an RX Phy Rate of 670Mbps (See screenshot).

Is this the Phy Rate of a single channel? my understanding is that because these are bonded the Phy Rate should be over 1Gbps. I should note that the adapters are connected to each other directly using the supplied 3ft coax cable.

Can anyone who's getting Gigabit speeds with these adapters confirm their reported Phy Rate in the management interface.

Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!