What's new

MoCA 2.0 Actiontech ECB6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SO the Internet speeds are using Speedtest.net, while the LAN speeds are transfering files from 700 megs to 1 gig and using the "More Details" option in Win 10 File explorer. So the "250-300" speeds are actually fairly quick given my TW cable internet is only rated for 300. For the LAN transfer I will check again to make sure the ports are configured properly.

SO the Internet speeds are using Speedtest.net, while the LAN speeds are transfering files from 700 megs to 1 gig and using the "More Details" option in Win 10 File explorer. So the "250-300" speeds are actually fairly quick given my TW cable internet is only rated for 300. For the LAN transfer I will check again to make sure the ports are configured properly.
I think you have it. Running an internet speed test does not test your LAN speeds at all, unless you are on 1GB fiber or something like that. The Lan speed test software I suggested will test what speeds you get when transferring files/data between devices/pc's on your local network. Since you want to evaluated the speed possible on your new MoCA devices, you want to use the fastest computers with gigabit nic's and ideally SSD hard drives so you know you are not measuring the limits of any one choke point. When running the test, don't use the small default file size, jump it up to about 1GB. If everything is up to par you should see 600Mbps+ at least.

Has anyone used firmware ecb_flashimage_2_11_1_50_6200_727 ?

So is that the latest version of firmware for the ECB6200? Is there a fix list? I've got ecb_flashimage_2_11_1_10_6200_1 and while it is running well, I'm all for having the latest security/stability/speed with my network devices :)

Can you possibly provide a link to this new firmware?
Actiontec has maintained that there are no firmware updates for this product and the one "unofficial" one released was quite a while ago. If you are experiencing problems with whatever version of firmware is on your units, you might try bugging their support people to see if you can get this more recent version, but if you aren't really experiencing any issues, my guess is they will simply tell you that none is available.

Running an internet speed test does not test your LAN speeds at all, unless you are on 1GB fiber or something like that.

iperf3 is available for Win32, and works nicely across LAN space - and it has options where disks do not come into play... invoke it on one side of the link as a server, and the other as a client, and you can test speeds in both directions...

https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

hi everyone - i have been thinking about getting these adapters, but the apparent lack of encryption support has given me pause. i've visited this thread a few times over the past couple of years. currently i am using netgear mca1001s in my network, which are working fine, but in this age of 200+mbit cable, most of my network is limited by the moca speed rather than by my internet connection.

apparently the beta firmware posted here does allow configuring encryption, if i understand what i read. however, someone @ amazon mentioned that the beta firmware posted here has finally been obsoleted by a new release version which is shipping with new units. if that's true, can anyone say whether or not the new released version allows turning on encryption?

thanks!

hi everyone - i have been thinking about getting these adapters, but the apparent lack of encryption support has given me pause. i've visited this thread a few times over the past couple of years. currently i am using netgear mca1001s in my network, which are working fine, but in this age of 200+mbit cable, most of my network is limited by the moca speed rather than by my internet connection.

apparently the beta firmware posted here does allow configuring encryption, if i understand what i read. however, someone @ amazon mentioned that the beta firmware posted here has finally been obsoleted by a new release version which is shipping with new units. if that's true, can anyone say whether or not the new released version allows turning on encryption?

thanks!
On any properly installed MoCA installation, there should be a MoCA POE / Whole Home DVR filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home. This is important and not optional. Which I suspect is part of the reason the manufacturers seem to be designing these new generation of adapters to be more or less "plug n play". If you have a proper MoCA filter installed, there is really no reason to use encryption, unless you don't trust someone in your home to your network.
Having said that, there is a fair chance that if you use the login information provided with the "unofficial" firmware package, you may well find that you can login you your newer adapter firmware. If that is correct, you may also be able to set encryption. I do not know for sure as I use MoCA filters always not encryption on MoCA.
Another consideration for you. There is a V1 and a V2 version of those Netgear adapters. The older V1 version is MoCA 1.0 only and these are not compatible with MoCA 2.0 devices, so if using the V1's, they are not going to be compatible with the new equipment.
If you still insist on encryption, the only other option, I can think of are the Yitong MoCA 2.0 adapters on Amazon, but these are only the standard non-bonded types, approximately 400Mbps, but they can be configured to use encryption. A single unit is about $60 and right now they have a pair of units on sale for $99.

thanks for your perspective. i have a filter installed, however, it and part of the network are outside the house. since the physical security of the network is already compromised, i'm not comfortable running without encryption.

i am using the v1 version and my plan was to retire them all in favor of a faster type of adapter. 400Mbps would probably be fine; it was not 100% clear to me from reading amazon descriptions and QA that the Yitong adapters supported encryption so thanks for that tip.

i might buy a pair of the bonded ones and if unable to get the encryption going, i'll return them to amazon.

thanks for the help!

edit: bought the Yitong adapters and installed all 4 of them. maybe not surprisingly the whole network was stuck at moca 1.0 speeds until all adapters were changed out. after the change i'm seeing ~3x the throughput. i think these speeds are good for now.

Last edited:
edit: bought the Yitong adapters and installed all 4 of them. maybe not surprisingly the whole network was stuck at moca 1.0 speeds until all adapters were changed out. after the change i'm seeing ~3x the throughput. i think these speeds are good for now.

So are you finding the yitong's to be faster or more stable than the actiontec - or pretty much the same?

I am trying to log into my new adapters to check things out, but I have not had any luck so far figuring out how to log in or the IP address they are using. I am on the latest macOS Sierra, and using an Apple AC time capsule router.

Here are the instructions for the ECB6200 (same method for ECB6000). These are written for Windows, so you'll have to translate them to Mac.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

Thank you, I was able to translate it to macOS (Sierra) by doing the following:

Turned off WiFi, so only using ethernet port to network.
Configure IPv4 Manually
Changed Ip Address to 192.168.144.5
Changed Router to 192.168.144.1

Advanced Tab:
Configure iP6 (manually).

Now I have some questions about the information I was able to gather, but I will make a new post as not to clutter this one.

I now have a question about my new MOCA adapters. I am only getting about 75 mbps download on the speedtest app with my apple tv connected with the Moca adapters, vs 130 speed while connected via AC wifi. (The Apple tv only has 100 speed port, so I would expect high 90's vs 75.)

I don't have any portable computers with ethernet, so I am unable to run any local link speed tests.

I believe i have a moca filter installed from Comcast looking at my wiring, but I just ordered one in case it is not what I think it is.

I replaced the main splitter with a MOCA compatible 2.3ghz version, am using the included splitter to break off the signal to my tivo and another 2.3ghz splitter to split my cable modem & mock adapter All cables are cat 6, both netgear switches are gigabit ethernet as well.

First question, will having 2 moca filters (one by the cable company, assuming that is what it is) and then one before the first splitter be harmful?

Any information look wrong in the diagnostic settings? I will attach screenshots and logs from the MOCA web pages:

I think this is the MOCA filter installed by comcast.
IMG_1678.jpg

Diagnostic Pages & Ethernet log:
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-05%20at%2011.06.10%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-05%20at%2011.06.35%20AM.png

Ethernet Statistics

2912: Receive 64B Frame Counter

18119: Receive 65B to 127B Frame Counter

202: Receive 128B to 255B Frame Counter

125: Receive 256B to 511B Frame Counter

484: Receive 512B to 1023B Frame Counter

41654: Receive 1024B to 1518B Frame Counter

0: Receive 1519B to 1522B Good VLAN Frame Counter

0: Receive 1519B to 2047B Frame Counter

0: Receive 2048B to 4095B Frame Counter

0: Receive 4096B to 9216B Frame Counter

63496: Receive Packet Counter

65490910: Receive Byte Counter

164: Receive Multicast Frame Counter

107: Receive Broadcast Frame Counter

0: Receive FCS Error Counter

0: Receive Control Frame Packet Counter

0: Receive Pause Frame Packet Counter

0: Receive Unknown OP Code Packet Counter

0: Receive Alignmenet Error Counter

0: Receive Frame Length Out Of Range Counter

0: Receive Code Error Packet Counter

0: Receive Carrier Sense Error Packet Counter

0: Receive Oversize Packet Counter

0: Receive Jabber Counter

0: Receive MTU Error Packet Counter

63496: Receive Good Packet Counter

63225: Receive Unicast Packet Counter

0: Receive PPP Packet Counter

0: Receive CRC Match Packet Counter

4821: Transmit 64B Frame Counter

45374: Transmit 65B to 127B Frame Counter

1400: Transmit 128B to 255B Frame Counter

1253: Transmit 256B to 511B Frame Counter

418: Transmit 512B to 1023B Frame Counter

617: Transmit 1024B to 1518B Frame Counter

0: Transmit 1519B to 1522B Good VLAN Frame Counter

0: Transmit 1519B to 2047B Frame Counter

0: Transmit 2048B to 4095B Frame Counter

0: Transmit 4096B to 9216B Frame Counter

53883: Transmit Packet Counter

4003: Transmit Multicast Packet Counter

2162: Transmit Broadcast Packet Counter

0: Transmit Pause Frame Packet Counter

0: Transmit Control Frame Packet Counter

0: Transmit FCS Error Counter

0: Transmit Oversize Packet Counter

0: Transmit Deferral Packet Counter

0: Transmit Excessive Deferral Packet Counter

0: Transmit Single Collision Packet Counter

0: Transmit Multiple Collision Packet Counter

0: Transmit Late Collision Packet Counter

0: Transmit Excessive Collision Packet Counter

0: Transmit Fragments Packet Counter

0: Transmit Total Collision Counter

0: Transmit Jabber Counter

5679240: Transmit Byte Counter

53883: Transmit Good Packet Counter

47718: Transmit Unicast Packet Counter

0: Receive RUNT Packet Counter

0: Receive RUNT Packet And Contain A Valid FCS

0: Receive RUNT Packet And Contain Invalid FCS or Alignment Error

0: Receive RUNT Packet Byte Counter

Statistics

== gen_stats =========================================

ecl_tx_total_pkts : 63477

ecl_tx_ucast_pkts : 63225

ecl_tx_bcast_pkts : 91

ecl_tx_mcast_pkts : 161

ecl_tx_ucast_unknown : 0

ecl_tx_mcast_unknown : 0

ecl_tx_ucast_drops : 0

ecl_tx_mcast_drops : 0

ecl_tx_total_bytes : 65488153

ecl_tx_buff_drop_pkts : 0

ecl_tx_error_drop_pkts : 0

ecl_rx_total_pkts : 54844

ecl_rx_ucast_pkts : 48679

ecl_rx_bcast_pkts : 2162

ecl_rx_mcast_pkts : 4003

ecl_rx_ucast_drops : 0

ecl_rx_mcast_filter_pkts : 0

ecl_rx_total_bytes : 5569751

ecl_fc_bg : 0

ecl_fc_low : 0

ecl_fc_medium : 0

ecl_fc_high : 0

ecl_fc_pqos : 0

ecl_fc_bp_all : 0

mac_tx_low_drop_pkts : 0

mac_rx_buff_drop_pkts : 0

mac_channel_usable_drop : 0

mac_remove_node_drop : 0

mac_loopback_pkts : 0

mac_loopback_drop_pkts : 0

aggr_pkt_stats_rx_max : 20

aggr_pkt_stats_rx_count : 60

aggr_pkt_stats_tx[30] : 20547 846 318 117 127 5585 313 113

365 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0

link_down_count : 0

link_up_count : 1

nc_handoff_counter : 0

nc_backup_counter : 0

resync_attempts_to_network : 0

tx_beacons : 0

tx_map_packets : 0

tx_rr_packets : 5352608

tx_ofdma_rr_packets : 0

tx_control_uc_packets : 12256

tx_control_bc_packets : 4111

tx_protocol_ie : 0

rx_beacons : 412016

rx_map_packets : 5352609

rx_rr_packets : 0

rx_ofdma_rr_packets : 0

rx_control_uc_packets : 5050

rx_control_bc_packets : 16400

rx_protocol_ie : 0

mac_frag_mpdu_tx : 0

mac_frag_mpdu_rx : 0

mac_pqos_policing_tx : 0

mac_pqos_policing_drop : 0

nc_became_nc_counter : 0

nc_became_backup_nc_counter: 1

rx_buffer_full_counter : 0

== end gen_stats =====================================

Has anyone had any issues with their ECB6000 locking up? Mine work great, and are very fast, but over time they eventually just die. I have to power cycle them to get them working again. Power cycling works every time.

I talked with support and they gave me the new firmwares for both my pair of ECB6000s and ECB6200s. They worked great for a couple of weeks but now they're back to dying every other day.

Support is having my try a bunch of other things but it feels more like they're trouble shooting them for themselves than for me. They want me to basically set up a small form network to link my desktop computer to my switch with them. This would take my whole house offline for days, which isn't really something I'm able to do :/

I was just hoping maybe someone else had seen the same kind of behavior that I have. I got my ECB6000s right when they came out, and I'm convinced they're some how defective. Especially if no one else is having any kind of issues like this.

Thanks!

I just got a pair (ECB6200k02) from B&H. They had the latest firmware.

I tested them with a direct cable connect, using the cable offered by the package. I observed a strange behavior. The bandwidth never exceeded 400mbps in iperf2 or iperf3 tests. However, when I tried copying some huge files between two computers, I was able to see the bandwidth reached around 850~900mbps.

Ain't the adapters iperf friendly?

MOCA has higher latency than ethernet so when testing with iperf3, add the option -w 1M to increase the window size.

Have four ECB6200 (2.0 bonded) adapters hooked up. Internet goes from switch to MOCA to four way splitter then to three rooms each with MOCA adapters connected to switch.

Adapters purchased in December 2016. Firmware was 2.11.1.50.6200.7.

Initially updated firmware to 2.11.1.50.6200.727 as posted in thread. Mistake. Lost all internet connectivity. Had ability to communicate on LAN. But no WAN connection. I did not have copy of original .7 version. Installed 2.11.1.60.6200.1 posted in forum. Adapters the worked fine.

Speed is good. Lan Speed Test measured: 739 Mbps upload and 527 Mbps download.

Saw there was no need to unplug coax from Adapter to get into configuration pages.

Some images showing stats / options / speed test results are attached

Attachments

• speed test results.PNG
    speed test results.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • configuration.PNG
    configuration.PNG
    58 KB · Views: 878
  • Node info - 2 devices.PNG
    Node info - 2 devices.PNG
    124.9 KB · Views: 710
  • Node info - 3 devices.PNG
    Node info - 3 devices.PNG
    140.3 KB · Views: 895
  • Node info - 4 devices.PNG
    Node info - 4 devices.PNG
    159.1 KB · Views: 844

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!