What's new

MoCA 2.0 hardware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nenarek

New Around Here
Is this the first consumer hardware with MoCA 2.0?
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WM2500RP.aspx#

It looks like it was just announced. Hopefully there are extenders without WiFi coming.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/entropics-moca-2-0-solution-120000533.html

I wonder what pricing will be like? I would really like to upgrade from my MoCA 1.1 hardware.

EDIT: It looks like another company has announced MoCA 2.0 adapter products as well.

http://ir.entropic.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214388&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1828339&highlight=
http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/ht-em/

Last edited:
I'd be interested if Tim/SNB knew if any MoCA 2.0 gear is on track for wide consumer availability in 2013? It does seem pretty quiet on the MoCA front.

Lots of cable tv boxes do whole-house shared DVR via built in MoCA. I wonder if that's the extent of MoCA here forward.

Lots of cable tv boxes do whole-house shared DVR via built in MoCA. I wonder if that's the extent of MoCA here forward.

It's really, really weird. . .MoCA 2.0 was announced in 2010 (speeds of 400Mb/s+) but I can't find one single MoCA 2.0 adapter. I went to Amazon and I type in "moca adapter" and I get basically 2 results, different Aciontec SKUs that are all essentially the same model (MoCA 1.1, btw) and a Chanelmaster device, also 1.1.

TiVo just announced all except the entry level of its new Roamio boxes - brand new, definitely post 2010, as well as it's new TiVo mini have MoCA built in, and it's 1.1. The TiVo boxes are really slick, you can run just a 75ohm coax to one with your cable signal, it will then function as like a reverse MoCA bridge, you can plug your smart TV's ethernet right into the back of the TiVo's unutilized ethernet jack.

I had a MoCA 1.1 setup (purely a small # of the Actiontec adapters) and it was rock steady reliable, but I only got 10Mb/s transfer. Good enough for streaming movies from either the WAN or the LAN in HD. But not really good enough to plug a computer into and think you're going to get the speeds of file transfer I get elsewhere on my LAN.

SNB wrote an article awhile back also saying the speed and reliability they got w/ MoCA was hard to beat. I could swear there was a more recent article, but I can't seem to find it. And since that was written, those Netgears have been discontinued.

Evidently D-Link has an 802.11ac router, Docsis 3 Cable modem, MoCA 2 adapter, and packet cable combo device that's theoretically coming to market this year. Maybe if they can just make a couple MoCA 2 adapters to go with it, I'd be set. . .fingers crossed. ha. . .

Maybe a little bit of good news here. . .evidently the MoCA 2.0 (and 1.1 spec of 270 Mb/s) isn't totally dead yet. . .

http://www.entropic.com/solutions/built/consumer-products/ethernet-coax-adapters

and the current Actiontec SKU at amazon (ECB2500CK01) might actually be a faster one than what I used to own, I will have to check (edit, checked, nope my ECB2200 was also listed at 270Mb/s).

Last edited:
Market too small for consumer MoCA.

IP on power line is easier for consumers, though a high percentage of unplanned ad hoc installations don't work well.

Market too small for consumer MoCA.

IP on power line is easier for consumers, though a high percentage of unplanned ad hoc installations don't work well.

An installed base of several million Verizon FiOS and TiVo owners (almost all TiVos sold since 10/2011) might disagree with that "too small" market. That's a pretty large installed base. . .and a potential market of hundreds of millions of homes that have 75 ohm coax already in them.

I've used it before and I've used powerline, I think both products will continue to ship more adapters to consumers.

But I'm not trying to debate the viability or worth of MoCA, nor looking to compare it to anything else, just wondering if new product with the updated standard will be hitting the streets anytime soon.

Let me clarify... I did make the point that lots of TV set top boxes (that would include TiVo), do have MoCA. Large market. But I meant the MoCA consumer market - the end user switch-like MoCA to Ethernet adapters we have. Stand alone. Not embedded in a set top box. That's the device that I claimed has a small/declining market.

So, on topic... I'd project yes, the embedded form of MoCA 2 will / has occurred but perhaps 0 to 2 stand alone MoCA adapters could be expected as retail items.

I would agree wholeheartedly with that statement @SteveCH, MoCA never seems to have gotten traction or significant demand outside of OEM integration in the STB vertical market.

It's a pretty narrow niche between the cost/benefit of running Ethernet cable and the cost/benefit of modern wifi equipment, with really no perfect way to fit that in between space for most people, most of the time. ;)

MOCA 2.0 adapters w/o wifi are potentially available in 2013. If you contact the company that announced them (as discussed in this thread), and inquire as to availability, you may get somewhere.

I'm not saying more because they have obviously chosen not to put themselves on blast and they are not set up for high volume direct-to-consumer sales. But if you sound like you know what you're talking about they just might hook you up. :)

Good luck

Digging up an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find one of these 2.0 MoCA. Any help is appreciated.

Hitron CGNM, Hitron HT-EM and Hitron-EMN.

Netgear WM2500RP MoCA-to WiFi extender - http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/in-home-connectivity/moca-bridges/wm2500rp.aspx

Arris Media Gateway 2402 (Arris MG2402 - http://ir.arrisi.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=87823&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1772004&highlight

I own 2 Hitron HT-EM adapters, new in box. Bought them directly from the company. I purchased several and ended up only using 1 in my home. It works great. I am using it in my office to bridge (I may not be using that word correctly? Not a networking expert) my Tivo MoCA network to my home LAN. I also experimented with some point-to-point and other topologies and they seemed to work well. I haven't done any speed testing but all of my home video stuff is flying at top speed.

I paid $110/each. Make me an offer?

Has anyone been able to find a source for purchasing Hitron HT-EM2s from? I have dark coax ready and waiting so I can connect up the TV and home office to the fibre broadband in the basement. Based on my research, MoCA is the most stable device, and if there is a MoCA 2.0 adapter set available I'm ready to buy.

The only other options I found was the StarTech Gigabit Ethernet Over Coaxial Unmanaged Network Extender Kit (EOC1110K), but if you read the fine print it tops out at 144Mbps - the gigabit refers to the port on the device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!