What's new

MoCA FIOS Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bt1

New Around Here
I just started using moca through two verizon routers. I want to try and eliminate their equipment and use all of my own (not worried about losing channel guides or vod). Would this configuration work?

ONT -> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter (Ethernet connection) -> ECB6200 (Creating moca network - Connecting Ethernet from router and coax from fios house wiring) -> Adding additional ecb6200 where I have a coax and need an ethernet connect.

Depends one whether you're FIOS, and then, is it just broadband, or are you getting TV/Dial Tone (phone services).

In a broadband only scenario - bridge their gateway, and you've got control... and then just run your own network out to the various clients...

In FIOS triple play - better to put your gear into the Residential Gateway's DMZ, and let their services work with their in-house gear (set top boxes and phones), and then run your own stuff on your own subnet over wifi and ethernet.

Pretty much the same thing would apply to uVerse, and the Cable Co offerings...

Depends one whether you're FIOS, and then, is it just broadband, or are you getting TV/Dial Tone (phone services).

In a broadband only scenario - bridge their gateway, and you've got control... and then just run your own network out to the various clients...

In FIOS triple play - better to put your gear into the Residential Gateway's DMZ, and let their services work with their in-house gear (set top boxes and phones), and then run your own stuff on your own subnet over wifi and ethernet.

Pretty much the same thing would apply to uVerse, and the Cable Co offerings...
I've dealt with both FIOS and Uverse now and can say that while FIOS is a bit better, neither have a true 'bridge mode'.

For FIOS, I was able to put my VPN equipment in their DMZ and things worked. It was double NAT though.

For Uverse, I expected to be able to do the same thing, except with a bonus as their DMZ actually gives my VPN router the external IP. The problem I ran into was that even with all their firewalling off, my VPN tunnel would only come up--not pass any traffic. Weirdest thing I'd ever run across. I finally had to get a block of static IPs. But even those were funky, still assigned in a 'DHCP reservation' kind of way in the Uverse router and then also statically assigning them in the VPN router like normal. Even though it's an odd way to configure it, it's working like a regular fully static IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!