What's new

MoCA Network Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Windburn

New Around Here
My wife and I just moved into a condo (renting) without ethernet wiring. I would like a hard-wired LAN connection for gaming and streaming media. Fortunately, the place is heavily wired with co-axial cable. With that in mind, I would like to create a MoCA network, but I need some help.

My current setup looks like this:

Cable/Internet provider: Comcast Xfinity

Cable into house -> CommScope Subscriber Amplifier -> Outputs 1-5
1: Cable Modem (TG862G/CT - First generation; No native MoCA support)
2-5: Lines to living room, bedroom, etc.

I would like to install something like this in the living room to connect to my PS4, XBO, and Apple TV and a smaller one in the bedroom for another Apple TV. Since my modem/router does not have native MoCA support, I'm pretty sure it won't work without some additional hardware. This is where you come in. What else do I need and where in the system should it be installed?

Thank you!

Some Actiontec ECB2500C0 MoCA bridges should do you up nice. Place one bridge each of the locations where you need the hardwired network connection. You'll need one at the cable modem as well to provide internet connectivity to them all. Any location where you need more than one wired network connection, get a cheap 5-8 port network switch to connect the other devices to, and then the switch to the MoCA bridge.

I would look for the MoCA bridge's on eBay. I got mine for about $35 that way, NIB. You can also look for some older Actiontec routers used on eBay. Those are often around $30-40 each and do have a MoCA bridge built in, plus 4 networking ports you can use to hook devices up. You'll have to set them up to disable DHCP and also do not connect up the WAN port. They are a bit of a power suck (around 11-14 watts) compared to the ECB2500c (about 3 watts) and take up more space.

Thanks, azazel1024.

Where should I install the bridge on the modem side? Before the amplifier? Do I need a filter to prevent signal from back-feeding into Comcast's network?

You can connect it before the input to the modem if you want, or off of the splitter (if there is one) that the modem is connected to. The ECB2500c has an input and output Coax, though only the input needs to be connected for it to work on your coax. The output can be used for a TV or other device (or the cable modem).

I would have it after the amp, just so you don't have to worry about any possible filtering of the MoCA frequencies by the amp.

Then just plug the Ethernet port on the bridge in to a/the port on the modem (or in to a switch and then in to the modem).

Great, I have those items on order and will report back with the results.

Any thoughts on the POE filter? If it's a good idea, what brand/model should I get?

Thanks again!

Great, I have those items on order and will report back with the results.

Any thoughts on the POE filter? If it's a good idea, what brand/model should I get?

Thanks again!

I've read a lot of the posts on POE filters and rummaged through the Internet; this filter came up a lot, so I ordered one:

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produ..._d_MPOE_d_TM&gclid=CPWNxqqZ3cYCFdSQHwodNmMJRQ

PS Might want to confirm all your coax outputs are functioning before buying adapters for every single one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!