What's new

MoCA Setup Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howieumd

New Around Here
Hi...I was wondering if somebody with some MoCA experience could help me out. I just can't get a stable connection and need it for TiVo to work right (1 Roamio Pro and 4 Mini's) as Ethernet has to go through switches the way my setup is and TiVo says switches don't play nice with TiVo Mini's.

I had Comcast X1 prior, so was already setup for that, but switched over to TiVo a few months back, as I was sick of unplugging the X1 boxes every other day to reboot them as they'd freeze up often. My cable layout from that Comcast setup is:

Line in from street --> MoCA POE filter --> Commscope CSAPDU9VP Amplifier -->then cables split off to each room.

The amplifier is also my splitter. It was added by Comcast for the finicky X1 platform that needed my power all in the same range and I think I needed a good boost to get there.

In my home office room, that's where my cable modem is, which is a Motorola SB6183 with 8 channels. I added a PCT 1-port bi-directional cable TV HDTV signal booster with passive return path right before the cable modem in the office, as it's gives up to a 15 db boost. My cable modem without it was getting around -9 to -11 db range on each channel and was ranging in speed from 90-110 mbps. After adding the booster, all channels are now in the 4 to 5 db range and I now get 165-180 mbps when connected directly through Ethernet to my PC, so it made a significant difference.

I bought the Actiontec ECB2500C adapter the other day to try to get MoCA working. I first plugged it in right before the PCT 1 port signal booster, and when I checked to see if I had internet, it wasn't making a connection. I took the signal booster out, and now have internet connection, around 50 mbps just from taking an Ethernet cable directly to the adapter and testing it on my laptop. However, now my cable modem speeds are back down. I think it may work with higher speeds if I put back the PCT 1 port signal booster and put the Actiontec adapter between it and the modem instead of in front of both. I haven't tried that yet, but am still troubleshooting the other issue (below) which is more important.

If I go to the room where my TiVo Roamio Pro is, it can now connect via MoCA to the internet and all seems to work fine on that box, thus I was able to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Roamio. However, if I go to my Mini's, they still can't establish a connection over MoCA to the Roamio. This is the bigger problem, and why I'm here. My feeling is the Commscope CSAPDU9VP Amplifier might be the problem, as everything feeds back to that, as it acts as the splitter too. Am I right in thinking this? And if so, what other options do I have? It would seems as though I'd need some type of amplifier, but also need to have an 8 port splitter. This is where I need help, if this is what it sounds like is causing the issue for my other rooms Mini's not being able to connect over MoCA to the Roamio.

TiVo must be full of bull re not compatible with Ethernet switches (assuming switches are quality).

Beware having daisy-chained TV coax amplifiers. Don't do it.
And any amp needs to have a return amplifier. Cable TV set top boxes, cable modems have an RF signal that goes from your house TO the cable system's head end. This is called the return up "upstream" signal. Amplifiers may have a return pass-though, un-amplified. Some have no return and that can't work. Some have a return amp. In addition, all have downstream amplifiers.

Look at your cable modem signal levels. It's most likely http://192.168.100.1 for your modem. You'll find a web page with signal levels for upstream and downstream. Displayed signal strength is in units of dBmV (decibels relative to one millivolt).
The downstream channels - often up to 8 if you are getting 50Mbps with DOCSIS 3, should all be 0 dBmV +/- abouty 6dB. If the downstream is weak, say, -15dBmv, you have bad coax, too many splitters ahead of the cable modem, etc. Or CableCo's signal is weak at the entry to your home (demarcation point). CableCo tech should tell you what these levels are after he crawls around to measure.

The upstream channels - up to 40- should all be about -40dBmv +/- about 8dB. More positive numbers are "worse"; like -30dBmV is worse. The cable system head-end commands the modem to adjust power so that the modem's signal strength at the head end is nominal. The -30 number means the head end had to command more power - meaning the losses in your wiring, splitters, return amp issues, etc. plus the cableCo's losses, are excessive. A decent cableCo tech knows this. Upstream numbers tend to get worse due to weather and due to noise at peak usage hours. These are cableCo problems.

If the modem's signals are stable/good,.. get a length of TV coax with pre-installed F connectors. Run that from point A to B instead of using the coax in the walls, w/splitters. This testing coax can help you decide where bad splitters are, bad coax cables, bad coax cables with faulty F connectors, etc. CableCo can do this too, but often they walk away from helping with inside wiring.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!