What's new

Moca Setup Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nighttrain

New Around Here
I have been doing research about setting up MoCA and I'm still not quite clear how to wire up the adapter at the modem/router. I apologize if this has been answered before I just haven't stumbled on a post that made it clear enough for me to understand how to go about wiring the adapter up at the modem. In my house I have a single coax that enters the house in the basement. The single coax hits a splitter and from there I have a coax running into another part of my basement that gets connected to my cable modem. And then the modem is connected through Ethernet to a wireless router. If I want to setup MoCA correctly can I disconnect the coax from the modem and connect it to a MoCA adapter(input) and then use another coax cable and connect that to the MoCA adapter's output and the cable modem?

Yes.
And on the mating MoCA adapter, the coax can loop through the 2nd coax connector and go on, say, to a TV or set top box.

And you can connect an ethernet switch (cheap) and get as many RJ45 connections as needed. Or plug into the switch a WiFi access point to add new coverage.

Some older coax splitters don't work or work well for MoCA. Look for ones that say up to 2GHz.
And always use as few splitters as possible, and don't have unused splitter ports.

there are some junky splitters on the market.

My cable company used 1ghz splitter (5-1000). So you're saying I should switch this out with a 2ghz splitter. I've read other posts that claim MoCA works with 1ghz splitters. Can you recommend a good quality splitter?

My cable company used 1ghz splitter (5-1000). So you're saying I should switch this out with a 2ghz splitter. I've read other posts that claim MoCA works with 1ghz splitters. Can you recommend a good quality splitter?

If you are willing to experiment/test go ahead and try the 1 Gig splitters. First setup your two MOCA adapters with 50' piece of coaxial run between them, no splitters and then run a LAN speed test. (NOT A SPEED TEST ON THE INTERNET)

Hook the MOCA adapters up and integrate the MOCA adapters into your coaxial network and repeat the test. If the results are satisfactory to you then no need to replace the splitters.

If you decide to replace splitters just check on line and buy from a reputable source. You shouldn't have to pay more than $3.00 each. Avoid the cheapo bargain bin specials priced at less than $1.00.

MoCA runs somewhat near 1GHz. The 2GHz splitters roll-0ff way above 1GHz so they're money well spent, I say.
You can do it later. But don't procrastinate it indefinitely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!