What's new

MOCA - something I am not understanding....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cydian

New Around Here
I am having an issue getting MOCA to work correctly...
Room1 - internet router to Netgear MOCA device via ethernet (FIOS internet)
Moca out to a 3 way splitter in the attic.
At the Splitter:
'In' from cable TV supplier (Brighthouse cable supplies cable TV. Internet is via FIOS. 2 totally different systems)
'out1'- room 1 where it connects to the moca, so this is actually the moca in to the splitter.
'out2'- TV in room 2
'out3' at splitter goes to IN at moca device in room3. Out from the moca then goes to the cable box. TV works fine.

so in effect, the moca in room 1 connects to the moca in room3 (thru a standard splitter), which then supplies internet to that room as well as cable for the TV.

This works fine as long as the cable IN at the splitter is not connected (so no TV signal). But once that is connected, the moca's no longer talk.
Seems to me like the IN from the cable TV system and the IN from MOCA1 are somehow interfering with each other and preventing the mocas from connecting.
So, I am guessing here, but it seems there must be some sort of device installed somewhere to isolate the cable IN from the moca IN.
The cable and the moca signal do travel on the same cable from the splitter to room 3.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what I am missing?

I am having an issue getting MOCA to work correctly...
Room1 - internet router to Netgear MOCA device via ethernet (FIOS internet)
Moca out to a 3 way splitter in the attic.
At the Splitter:
'In' from cable TV supplier (Brighthouse cable supplies cable TV. Internet is via FIOS. 2 totally different systems)
'out1'- room 1 where it connects to the moca, so this is actually the moca in to the splitter.
'out2'- TV in room 2
'out3' at splitter goes to IN at moca device in room3. Out from the moca then goes to the cable box. TV works fine.

so in effect, the moca in room 1 connects to the moca in room3 (thru a standard splitter), which then supplies internet to that room as well as cable for the TV.

This works fine as long as the cable IN at the splitter is not connected (so no TV signal). But once that is connected, the moca's no longer talk.
Seems to me like the IN from the cable TV system and the IN from MOCA1 are somehow interfering with each other and preventing the mocas from connecting.
So, I am guessing here, but it seems there must be some sort of device installed somewhere to isolate the cable IN from the moca IN.
The cable and the moca signal do travel on the same cable from the splitter to room 3.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what I am missing?
Could be that you need power divider type splitters, rather than isolating splitters.

Could you possibly give examples (links to) the sort of devices you mean?
Are there different types of splitters?
Is there a splitter that can isolate a branch?

I know this is an old question, but I had the same problem and solved it by connecting a diplexer between the "In" from the cable TV supplier and the "in" on the 3-way splitter. This creates a "POE" filter for the Moca signal and "reflects" it back through the splitter. The way the diplexer is connected is crucial, though.

You must connect the cable from the cable TV provider to the lower frequency connector (TV/Ant/Cable/etc) of the diplexer, the high frequency/SAT connector on the same side should have nothing connected to it (or it could be terminated), and the single connector on the opposite side should feed the input on the 3-way splitter.

I hope that was easy to follow :) and I hope it works (if you're still having problems).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!