What's new

MOCA vs Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donut417

Occasional Visitor
Currently I have a Dlink Dir-835 Dual band Wireless N750 Router. It works, I use 5Ghz and get about 264 Mbps, at least thats the speed my router states. I have a TPlink WND4800 wireless card which is for N900.

For a while I have looked in to MoCa. Will I notice any better performance with it? Is it more reliable?

Only concern I have is currently the signal has to go thru 3 splitters to get to my room, also a section of RG58. However Im working on replacing all my splitters and hopefully will be able to reduce the signal loss to our second floor.

Also, who makes the adapters? Ive seen that Actiontec has some MoCa 2.0 adapters but they seem to have issues. Are there any others that make these adapters, if so where can I buy.

The Setup: To my understanding I should be able to get an adapter that has a pass thru for TV. I should be able to connect that to my TV or Modem line, then stick the other adapter where I need service. Then the only other thing I need is a MOCA filter on my main line before my first spliiter right?

I think no one has answered because we need more information. What is the speed of your internet connection you pay for? Who supplies your internet, your cable company? When you ask if MOCA will be more reliable, is your wireless not reliable? In other words what problem are you attempting to fix by going MOCA? As far as speed goes how are you currently testing your wireless speed? If you want MOCA2.0 Actiontec is pretty much it. If you want 1.1, there are several providers.
I use MOCA 1.1 extensively in my house and it has been rock solid.

We should be getting 75 down 10 up. My wireless is fairly stable, I do get less signal strength during bad weather. As far as testing, my router indicates the speed of the connect as 264M, Im not sure of how to test. According to Speedtest.net I get about 80-90Mbps down and 10-12 up. Part of the reason Im looking in to Moca is that I am a student and gamer. I just want a more reliable connection and something maybe more consistent with speed.

My plans were to install moca in my room and use a 5 port switch to feed my desktop and PS3. We are going to be going over the air in our bed rooms for TV so I will have sorta a dedicated line from the splitter to me. Another reason is our router is sitting on the TV stand in the liviing room. My mom has asked a few times if we could hide it behind the TV or something, hell she asked if we could stick it in the cold air return. So if I had a moca connection we could hide it in the cabinet. Or I could also buy another moca adapter to put an access point somewhere else, and placement wouldn't matter to me much.

Gamers shouldn't use WiFi. Gamers suffer due to latency in the packet transfers. latency increases with competition for access to the transmission medium. Wireless is terrible at latency since you and neighbors compete for air-time. With wired (ethernet, MoCA, HomePlug/HPNA), you are the only user on the medium. No competition.

MoCA is to use in lieu of an ethernet cable connection. Better than WiFi but worse that a cat5 ethernet cable.

Without mobility, there's no need for wireless! (with a few exceptions).

Gamers shouldn't use WiFi. Gamers suffer due to latency in the packet transfers. latency increases with competition for access to the transmission medium. Wireless is terrible at latency since you and neighbors compete for air-time. With wired (ethernet, MoCA, HomePlug/HPNA), you are the only user on the medium. No competition.

MoCA is to use in lieu of an ethernet cable connection. Better than WiFi but worse that a cat5 ethernet cable.

Without mobility, there's no need for wireless! (with a few exceptions).

WiFi wasn't my choice. That was just what was available. Also, there are only a few networks around me. On top of that, they have too little signal to connect too. Im probably a best case scenario when come to wireless. I just want something that is potentially fast, more reliable in terms of connection quality. Plus Im going to be going to OTA TV in my bed room to save some money, so There will also be more online video in my future.

Is the entire house going OTA? If not will the coax for the MOCA be dedicated and signal free? If so you could save a ton of money by using DECA adapters instead of MOCA. That is as long as you are okay with MOCA 1.1 speeds (which should be enough to max out your current 75up/10down internet speeds).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVK1ITI/?tag=snbforums-20
No, only the bed rooms. It may only be my mom and dads bed rooms at that. Our current setup is a two way splitter coming in to a house, one side used for Modem and the other side goes in to a 4 way splitter, one of those connections Goes to another 3 way splitter. When they go OTA I should be able to cut out that last 3 way splitter out of the loop. I think thats going to save my bacon. As the signal loss I had on the upper channels in my room should be fixed. If I go OTA in my room, then Ill have just that line used for Moca. However we will still have 2 TV at least with cable TV on them.

I have a few final quesitons.
A) Moca filters. I know I need one on the main line leading in to the house. Do I need one on the modem? On the Cable boxes?
B) I know I need a bonded adapter near my router, so I can ether use the modem line to connect it or the TV line. Im not sure if Im giving up my cable box in my room yet. If I get a bonded adapter for my room and give up my cable, will the second port on the adapter introduce any interference or noise in to my set up?
C) I have maybe a 15 to 20 foot span of RG59 siting between my main splitter and our splitter on the second floor. Will I get tones of loss with that cable or will it be fine?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!