What's new

Moca woes. Help 1.1 works, but 2.0 does not.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quickster357

New Around Here
Update: Problem resolved! Read the last post. Also, you definitely need a MoCA filter with the PPC EVO amp. When tested, nodes will talk to each other through the incoming demarcation port.

Hello, I originally did not want to create an account and ask for help so I've been searching multiple forums and google, but to no avail I cannot figure out why my ECB6200's cannot "talk" to eachother when my ECB2500's were able to.

To start, we have Comcast internet, TV and phone (yes an eMTA/Modem/router AIO, but I shut down the router portion). Initially from the tap it was connected to a 3-way -3.5dB splitter rated at 1KHz. One went to the eMTA/Modem and the other connected to a SV-A15PRS 15dB amp to a MCR HP-208PV 8-way splitter rated at 5-3000MHz. My Moca 1.1 ECB2500's were able to connect fine (even through the amp!) also no PoE filter. Bad me. In any case, I purchased the ECB6200K02 package from B&H photo and video. They came with the most recent firmware 2.11.1.10 installed. I hooked them up in the same configuration as my ECB2500s. Sadly, the COAX light did not come on. Even after waiting for an hour.

After googling, I figured it was the amp that probably did not pass the 2.0 signal properly or the "bonded" signal. I then purchased a Holland PoE filter and a PPC Evo Entry 1-9-u/u amp from amazon, which is supposed to be MOCA friendly. I tested everything beforehand with the supplied short cables from the ECB6200K02 box. I also tried the amp un-powered and powered on.
ECB6200->coax in->ECB6200. Boom coax light.
Ok, next step. ECB6200->coax in->PPC EVO amp port 1->PPC EVO amp port 5->coax in->ECB6200. Works good.
Ok, next step (since one ECB6200 is going to be connected to the eMTA/Modem and router on the main floor). ECB6200->coax in->PPC Evo eMTA/Modem -3.5dB passive port->PPC Evo port 1->coax in->ECB6200. Worked just fine. Sweet. Time to install!

So I installed the new amp in my garage where the old Comcast SVI amp/8-way splitter was and hooked everything up according to http://www.ppc-online.com/docs/MKTimages/upload/Installation-Guide-9-port-Generic-2.pdf

I took note that "longer runs" (ie. in the basement where I have one of my ECB2500/ECB6200 going to be for better signal/whole house internet) should be on ports 1-4 and shorter runs 5-8 (so main level and upstairs). I have my other ECB2500/ECB6200 on the main floor where the eMTA/Modem is on the PASSIVE line and the other in the basement on port 2. My ECB6200 coax lights will not light up, but my ECB2500's will.

Am I missing something? Could it be the length of RG-6 coax between the modem->amp->basement? If so, why were my 1.1 devices working and not my 2.0? Can anyone help my dilemma?

PS. Sorry for the very long post.

UPDATE: All coax runs are RG-6 quad and the lengths from basement install to PPC Evo amp ~70ft-80ft and coax run from eMTA/Modem to PPC Evo amp ~35ft all point to point. No other junctions or splits.

*On a final note, eMTA/Modem->ECB6200->PPC Evo amp passive port->PPC Evo amp port 2->ECB2500 works!*
bznavyk.jpg
uw3Cf1j.jpg

Last edited:
No fears, mate. An account here is a good thing.

All components pass 1.675 ghz ?
Do any use the high band that MOCA 2 uses ?
No Direct Tv or Dish ?

Do a point to point over each cable run and verify sync.

Looks like MOCA 1.1 works, so either f block or attenuation or noise/shield termination.
You could get a 100ft cable and test if nothing else. Could be a shield whisker on the main conductor or a bad crimp in the cable.

Last edited:
No fears, mate. An account here is a good thing.

All components pass 1.675 ghz ?
Do any use the high band that MOCA 2 uses ?
No Direct Tv or Dish ?

Do a point to point over each cable run and verify sync.

Looks like MOCA 1.1 works, so either f block or attenuation or noise/shield termination.
You could get a 100ft cable and test if nothing else. Could be a shield whisker on the main conductor or a bad crimp in the cable.
As far as I know, yes, all components should pass 1.675 MHz as it is just the amp between the two ECB6200 nodes and is supposedly MoCA compatible according to the .pdf I posted in my main post.

I did account for that and I unplugged the coax to the one and only Comcast DVR we have in the family room for 10 miinutes. Still no sync.

If you're unfamiliar, Comcast is a cable network, so no DirecTV or Dish satellite signals in our home.

I'll have to do a point to point sync test tomorrow since the family is home and using internet services. I'll report back my findings around 2:30-3:00pm CST March 1st.

As far as the amp goes, I assume, but cannot confirm it is very similar to this photo below without the integrated MoCA filter. In retrospect, I should have waited and purchased PCT's PCT-VC-F19A amp or Extreme Broadband's IPA2008DL2-RSVF amp, which state compatible with MoCA 2.0...or purchased two diplexers and routed all MoCA traffic around the amp similar to the photo below.
ALL-PORTS-TALKING_1_300x204.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar setup except I do not have MOCA 2.0. My amplifier is an Antronic. I did find that when I used Holland splitters vs Antronic splitters, I saw significant change in my network, MOCA and
Ethernet and WIFI.

Finally got them to connect! However, I'll post my findings for others looking for information.

As stated earlier, I was going to do point to point connections with my ECB6200's. Initially, at the amp, I removed the terminator at port 8 and twisted on a ~3ft coax line that was supplied with the ECB6200K02 kit for shirts'n'giggles. I powered on one of my ECB6200 adapters in the garage and the coax light popped on whilst I kept the one at eMTA/Modem line already on. GOOD!

I then removed the passive port line and directly connected eMTA/Modem->ECB6200-> ~35ft coax line ->ECB6200. The light came on. Getting better!

After, I removed the port 2 line that goes to the basement and plugged the garage ECB6200 up to it and brought the other from the eMTA/Modem line into the basement and hooked it up and powered it on such that ECB6200-> ~70ft-80ft coax ->ECB6200. Boom another good line!

Ok, I then attached the ECB6200 from the garage to the eMTA/Modem line on the main floor and kept the other in the basement. I plugged the basement line into port 8 and powered up everything so it looks like eMTA/Modem->ECB6200-> ~35ft coax -> PPC Evo amp passive port -> PPC Evo amp port 8 -> ~70ft-80ft coax ->ECB6200.

Now both nodes work. How well? I don't know, but they're both lit up! :D

PS. I re-terminated port 2. So... port 2 could have been the problem OR there was some misinformation in the PPC Evo .pdf file I have in my original post. Either way, I layed out info for others to find and everything is up and running smoothly.

Thanks for all your help.

Can I piggy-back on this thread as it is close to my situation? I'm new to MOCA, and since I just got a cable modem with MOCA capability, I was hoping to use it to get Ethernet upstairs through existing RG6-U. Based on this thread and some other reading, I think the attached diagram is a proper configuration. My assumption is that the MOCA devices have sufficient drive to overcome losses in splitters, which in this scenario total -3 dB + -9 dB = -12 dB in either direction.

Cable is RG6U and max length is less than 50 ft (15 m) per branch (~ -4.6 dB @ 2 GHz). I'm not so concerned about the remote devices communicating (< 100 ft, that would be nice, but not a requirement). The cable modem to the 1:8 splitter is intra-rack - about 2 feet (0.6 m).

Can anyone confirm my proposed topology? If not, corrections and advice are earnestly solicited.

Attachments

• moca.pdf
    96.4 KB · Views: 543
Can I piggy-back on this thread as it is close to my situation? I'm new to MOCA, and since I just got a cable modem with MOCA capability, I was hoping to use it to get Ethernet upstairs through existing RG6-U. Based on this thread and some other reading, I think the attached diagram is a proper configuration. My assumption is that the MOCA devices have sufficient drive to overcome losses in splitters, which in this scenario total -3 dB + -9 dB = -12 dB in either direction.

Cable is RG6U and max length is less than 50 ft (15 m) per branch (~ -4.6 dB @ 2 GHz). I'm not so concerned about the remote devices communicating (< 100 ft, that would be nice, but not a requirement). The cable modem to the 1:8 splitter is intra-rack - about 2 feet (0.6 m).

Can anyone confirm my proposed topology? If not, corrections and advice are earnestly solicited.
Yes, if that is the diagram YOU made, it should work.

Also, make certain that the MoCA version on your modem is 2.0 or else you will not get 2.0 marketed speeds with Actiontec's ECB6000 or ECB6200 MoCA 2.0 devices. Just a FYI.

Thanks for the reply. Yah, I drew it up. I'll take that as a compliment :p.

The cable modem is a Cisco DPC3941B . The data sheet reports "MoCA Versions: MoCA 1.1 and 2.0".

For what it's worth, it's a pretty nice box. Docsis 3.0, four 1 Gb/s RJ45, 2.4 and 5 GHz AC WiFi, firewall, IPv4 and IPv6, DHCP. And, if you believe the hardware status page, a reasonable amount of DRAM:

upload_2016-3-7_9-45-46.png

Re-use a buffer? I've heard of it.

Thanks for the reply. Yah, I drew it up. I'll take that as a compliment :p.

The cable modem is a Cisco DPC3941B . The data sheet reports "MoCA Versions: MoCA 1.1 and 2.0".

For what it's worth, it's a pretty nice box. Docsis 3.0, four 1 Gb/s RJ45, 2.4 and 5 GHz AC WiFi, firewall, IPv4 and IPv6, DHCP. And, if you believe the hardware status page, a reasonable amount of DRAM:

View attachment 5662

Re-use a buffer? I've heard of it.
Check for firmware update on your cisc cable modem. They just issued a critical security patch.

Check for firmware update on your cisc cable modem. They just issued a critical security patch.
There's nothing accessible from my side (LAN) to allow this. I guess I'll have to let Comcast take care of it. Uh-oh.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!