What's new

Modem + router change with DSL (no DSL-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alpha45

Regular Contributor
I had to cascade an Asus RT-AC68U to the DGA 4131 of Fastweb.
Now I would like to replace them with a DSL always Asus and I would like to know according to your experience what you recommend in their place, keeping in mind preferably with the same brand of cpu of the modem/router and with slightly better performance than the RT - AC68U, but that does not cost very.
I thank you cordially.

I had to cascade an Asus RT-AC68U to the DGA 4131 of Fastweb.
Now I would like to replace them with a DSL always Asus and I would like to know according to your experience what you recommend in their place, keeping in mind preferably with the same brand of cpu of the modem/router and with slightly better performance than the RT - AC68U, but that does not cost very.
I thank you cordially.

Can you use a free IPS's DSL gateway in bridge mode and your own ASUS RT-AC86U router? This would minimize your cost, leave the ISP responsible for their approved DSL modem and finicky DSL service, and let you own and manage your router and network. Plus the 86U is a value/performance upgrade from the 68U without jumping to draft AX WiFi, and it moves you away from using your own DSL combo gateway that can have neglected support. If you need more WiFi coverage, add in the existing 68U as an AiMesh wireless node.

OE

Last edited:
Stay away from the notorious DSL-AC68U, as this has major issues (at least here in the UK) due to the very unstable Mediatek DSL chipset. Your best bet is to go for the latest DSL-AC88U as this uses a fairly solid Broadcom DSL chipset.

Now I would like to replace them with a DSL

Why do you want to lock the router to your current DSL connection?
Something better as ISP will come tomorrow and you'll be stuck with your DSL router.

Can you use a free IPS's DSL gateway in bridge mode and your own ASUS RT-AC86U router?

As an idea it is not bad, but there are two problems,
1-in this way I have to power two devices,
2-in the current mode (DGA 4131 bridge end Asus RT-AC68U router) I have the following problem: I can't use DDNS!
"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x).This router could be in a multi-NAT environment and the DDNS service cannot work in this environment. "
Ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
As an idea it is not bad, but there are two problems,
2-in the current mode (DGA 4131 bridge end Asus RT-AC68U router) I have the following problem: I can't use DDNS!
"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x).This router could be in a multi-NAT environment and the DDNS service cannot work in this environment. "
Ideas?
Thanks

Maybe the ISP has a box that truly bridges their IP to your router WAN. Or maybe their box can be configured to do similar... port forward? Have you exhausted their Tech Support... find a person that knows?

OE

1. They are both low power devices. A DSL router running both DSL and routing will have similar power consumption.

2. Your modem is not in Bridge Mode if you get internal IP for RT-AC68U. You can still use DDNS though. Switch "Method to retrieve WAN IP" to "External" on the RT-AC68U, then you can assign Static IP for RT-AC68U on the DSL modem and place that IP in DMZ. Access from WAN on standard port 80 will give you access to RT-AC68U directly. Better use VPN connection to access your router though.

My ISP provided router is in Router mode at the moment, for example, and No-IP DDNS service has no issues.

@Val D. & @OzarkEdge

Kindly look at this discussion that there is some image that maybe helps ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-asus-rt-ac68u-in-cascade-problem-ddns.59772/
I have a fixed public IP: 2.229.XXX.XXX
This was Asus's answer:
Customer Service FeedbackDear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Asus support.
Regarding your request, the warning "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address ...) can also ignore it if the DDNS service is working properly.
To check if the DMZ service of the Fastweb modem is activated correctly, we invite you to activate in the Asus modem in the "Administration> system" page, the "" "Enable access to the Web interface from the Internet" and then check through a different connection whether it can access the Asus modem interface remotely via the following address:
https : // indirizzo_IP_pubbico_Fastweb: 8443
We take the opportunity to give you cordial greetings.
Asus Customer Service
Thank

Last edited:
Kindly look at this discussion

The advice given to you by @ColinTaylor* is correct, Asuswrt-Merlin firmware has option to detect external WAN IP address behind a modem/router and DDNS works properly with it. In post #7 here I wrongly assumed you already have Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on your RT-AC68U.

* - listen to this gentleman and forget about ASUS support, he's always spot on. I wish we had more members like Colin here on SNB.

If I purchase the RT-AC86U, will I still need to put the modified ColinTaylor firmware to run DDNS?

Asuswrt-Merlin is a well know and trusted enhanced version of Asuswrt original firmware:
Information is available on https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
Support forum here on SNB https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

If you keep the current configuration (your router behind ISPs router), then you'll need Asuswrt-Merlin in order to detect external WAN IP address and update ASUS DDNS service. If you can switch your ISPs router to Bridge Mode, then your RT-AC68U is going to be the first device facing Internet and you can have ASUS DDNS working with ASUS stock firmware. Also, you mentioned "fixed public IP". Does it mean you have a Static IP and it never changes? If this is the case, you may use any DDNS service, not necessarily the one provided by ASUS. Just point the DDNS service of choice once to your WAN IP and forget about it. I use No-IP DDNS, for example. The small inconvenience is that this particular one is not free.

If I change the firmware, will it then be possible to downgrade?

Yes. You can revert to Asuswrt stock any time you want to. Asuswrt-Merlin is based on Asuswrt.

Last edited:
You have an RT-AC68U, is that correct?
Are there any problems with it regarding to speed?
If not load Merlin firmware 384.13 and you can use Asus DDSN or any other right now, only correct settings needed for this to work as it is.
Upto 300Mb/s you wont get any faster with RT-AC86U as long as you dont use VPN services.

Upto 300Mb/s you wont get any faster with RT-AC86U.

He can get better WiFi link speeds on longer distances, faster Internal WiFi network and faster USB HDD transfers with RT-AC86U (usable only on Internal network due to limited Internet upload), but I also wouldn't recommend an upgrade at this point with current DSL ISP. Maybe sometime in the future when faster ISP is available and the price for RT-AC86U drops down a bit.

Last edited:
You have an RT-AC68U, is that correct?
Are there any problems with it regarding to speed?
If not load Merlin firmware 384.13 and you can use Asus DDSN or any other right now, only correct settings needed for this to work as it is.
Upto 300Mb/s you wont get any faster with RT-AC86U as long as you dont use VPN services.

I have no speed problems, my area is far from the central (60Mbs dwn and 10Mbs up alignment).
Unfortunately my DSL ISP DGA 4131 cannot be used as a pure bridge because it is blocked….
This is why I asked what could be put in place of the two devices ...
In the meantime I will try to install the new recommended firmware on my RT-AC68U.
I thank

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!