What's new

Modem/Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

network bob

New Around Here
Hi......

I have a question, I had an internet subscription with my previous provider, here I only got a modem, everything OK.
Now I switched to a different provider and now have a modem / router
and now I'm running into a problem because I want to keep my own router in my network.
Now this has been told
modem router this is the type See link below

https://nl.hardware.info/product/280656/technicolor-tg789bvn/fotos

Now the question
There is a WAN port on it, Can I connect it to my router, Is this the signal coming from the Modem
(Or is this WAN port in between Modem and Router, Please note that I mean the modem / router in this link https://nl.hardware.info/product/280...tg789bvn/fotos

I don't want to use the lan ports of this Modem / Router (see the link above) (I only want the WAN from the modem)

Can I use the Wan port without doing anything wrong

Thanks for the effort

Hi

mijn Router die ik wil behouden in mij netwerk is.

Netgear BR500. Ethernet LAN, data-overdrachtsnelheden: 10,100,1000 Mbit/s, Bekabelingstechnologie: 10/100/1000Base-T
girl.gif
. Netwerkstandaard: IEEE 802.1Q, Overdrachtssnelheid: 924 Mbit/s. Routing protocols: RIP-1,RIP-2, Ondersteunde netwerkprotocollen: IPv6. Soort antenne: Intern. Ondersteunde beveiligingsalgoritmen: 3DES,DES,IPSec,MD5,SHA-1, Firewall: SPI, Autenticatiemethode: NETGEAR Insight SSO

connect a PC to the ISP modem/router.
put the ISP modem/router in "bridge" mode if you can by going into the configuration of the ISP router.
then connect your router to a lan port on the ISP device.

Hi....

The bridge mode in the router is a setting that, as it were, turns off most device settings, and only allows the device to function as an old-fashioned modem. In bridge mode, the device no longer transmits a Wi-Fi signal, the DHCP and NAT settings will expire, the hotspots of your provider will no longer work, the firewall will go out and only one LAN port will signal. .
The bridge mode is used if you have purchased a new router and would like to connect it. Do not use it in another situation: the firewall is switched off and this can cause your computer to become infected. Also the WiFi will no longer work and you can no longer use the hotspots of your provider.
The bridge mode ensures that your modem will only function as a modem and will no longer have any router functions.

brich-mode solves my problem, but then I don't have a wiffi on the Modem / Router.
this is actually a great pity, what i want are there still possibilities to keep the wiffi of Modem / Router,
if there is absolutely no other option, I might just have to accept it

you can run as is without bridge mode, no problem. Just plug your router into a lan port, not the wan port. You will have double NAT, but should not be an issue unless you are running a server or vpn on your router.

If you want to keep a "flat" network, you may be able to connect a cable from your router lan port to a lan port on the ISP router. You will need to turn off routing and services in your device so that it acts as a switch only. Do not use your devices WAN port. It basically becomes a "switch" or if it has wireless, you can set it up as an access point. There are many threads in the forums describing how.

you can run as is without bridge mode, no problem. Just plug your router into a lan port, not the wan port. You will have double NAT, but should not be an issue unless you are running a server or vpn on your router.

You can run VPN clients in a double NAT setup with no issues. Running a VPN server will be difficult if not impossible.

Other than server issues in double NAT you will see no increased measurable latency or speed reductions for connections up to 500Mbps after that your results may vary as I have no way to test.

Hi...…...

maybe most people don't understand why I'm asking this question , curiosity I think

I searched the internet for is the WAN port on the Technicolor TG789bvn.
What can you do with this, and where is he for
the only thing i can find is this
Wan is wide area network
WAN - Wide area network

network
Hi......

I have a question, I had an internet subscription with my previous provider, here I only got a modem, everything OK.
Now I switched to a different provider and now have a modem / router
and now I'm running into a problem because I want to keep my own router in my network.
Now this has been told
modem router this is the type See link below

https://nl.hardware.info/product/280656/technicolor-tg789bvn/fotos

Now the question
There is a WAN port on it, Can I connect it to my router, Is this the signal coming from the Modem
(Or is this WAN port in between Modem and Router, Please note that I mean the modem / router in this link https://nl.hardware.info/product/280...tg789bvn/fotos

I don't want to use the lan ports of this Modem / Router (see the link above) (I only want the WAN from the modem)

Can I use the Wan port without doing anything wrong

Thanks for the effort

Hi...…...

maybe most people don't understand why I'm asking this question , curiosity I think

I searched the internet for is the WAN port on the Technicolor TG789bvn.
What can you do with this, and where is he for
the only thing i can find is this
Wan is wide area network
WAN - Wide area network

The previous replies are spot-on if you follow them you should get to where you want to be. I'll add my two bits here too and hope it helps a little. ;)

The modem/router you have seems to be a very limited N class WiFi device for DSL connected ISP's. Does not seem to be a 5GHz radio on it even.

https://nl.hardware.info/product/280656/technicolor-tg789bvn/specificaties

The WAN port is most likely there to add as much versatility as possible to this modem so that different ISP's can buy and use it worldwide. I would suspect it is disabled in your case (merely a guess) as the ISP will simply kill it off rather than provide more options to their customers. ;)

This class of device would be best used in bridge mode along with a more modern router (my recommendation would be an RMerlin supported, Asus router).

Which router did you previously use and did it do what you need? If so, bridge the ISP supplied modem/router and continue to use your router as before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!