What's new

Modem troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jontalk

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have a Motorola SB-6141 along with my Asus RT-AC56R router and both work well. However I've been noticing when I do my periodic power cycling to flush the cache of the network, I have to fiddle around with the AC power cable on the modem to get it to power on. I did this last night and it took several minutes until it powered up. Once it's on it stays on without problems and performs as it always does delivering 35% faster speeds than Comcast states.

So my question is this: Would it make sense to replace the AC cable with a new OEM part, or is it likely the issue is with the modem? Obviously the cost difference is significant and I don't want to flush money down the toilet buying a new modem when it might be the AC cable.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have a Motorola SB-6141 along with my Asus RT-AC56R router and both work well. However I've been noticing when I do my periodic power cycling to flush the cache of the network, I have to fiddle around with the AC power cable on the modem to get it to power on. I did this last night and it took several minutes until it powered up. Once it's on it stays on without problems and performs as it always does delivering 35% faster speeds than Comcast states.

So my question is this: Would it make sense to replace the AC cable with a new OEM part, or is it likely the issue is with the modem? Obviously the cost difference is significant and I don't want to flush money down the toilet buying a new modem when it might be the AC cable.

Thanks

Answering your own question, no need to ask, LOL! Sounds like it is your own modem. Where I am we're only allowed to use ISP supplied modem. They track by it's serial number and if we plug in other modem they know right away. So if the modem is supplied by your ISP, let them take care of it. If I were you I'd trouble-shoot myself to solve the problem. Use soldering iron or get a part(s) I need. BTW, did you plug the AC cord to another outlet.

Yes it's my own modem..What I noticed was trying different AC plug outlets did nothing. But when I fiddled around with the small female end of the cable that plugs into the modem it came up. Since the modem is never moved around and AC cable quality can often be questionable it just seems to me that spending $8 on a replacement cable might solve the problem. I posted the thread to see if anyone else has had this sort of problem. I notice you're in Canada which I'm sure is far different than the US when it comes to service providers. Comcast charges users over $8/mo for a modem which you can buy for around $50 not to mention getting a FAR better modem in the process. The SB-6141 is rock solid and delivers great speed

the SB6141 is a good modem - and if you're having recent issues, it might be a power adapter gone bad (happens all the time with consumer gear).

Try a new adapter first...

Thanks for the insight.. I'll get an adapter and see if that solves it. Of course there's always the ongoing hiccups with Comcast service as well though I have to say that I've never had a problem with a Motorola modem and have sworn by them for many years now.