What's new

Modem with SNR modification setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steelstar

Occasional Visitor
Hi people. I'm not sure this is the right section (if not excuse me) but I would like to buy an Asuswrt-Merlin supported router, together with the most simple modem around (1 ethernet port) with a SNR setting to optimise connection speed.
What modem would you recommend?

Thanks

That's something you should ask your ISP first.

That's something you should ask your ISP first.

I guess my question was not clear enough.
I need a modem where you can adjust the target SNR in order to reach a higher connection speed. The only one I know of are Billion and Asus modem routers, but those are a bit expensive since I would need a modem only (no router).

Modifying the SNR will not give you more bandwidth that you pay for, and if you are not getting the bandwidth you pay for, then call your ISP.

Modifying the SNR will not give you more bandwidth that you pay for, and if you are not getting the bandwidth you pay for, then call your ISP.
I am rather surprised about your answers here. Modifying the SNR WILL give more download bandwidth. What you can't modify is your nominal speed. Lowering my SNR from 12 dB to 3 dB I can connect at 20 Mbit from 14 Mbit on my Billion 7800. On my old Asus DSL-N55U I could reach about 19 Mbit.
I'll just keep my current modem-router I guess.

I am rather surprised about your answers here. Modifying the SNR WILL give more download bandwidth. What you can't modify is your nominal speed. Lowering my SNR from 12 dB to 3 dB I can connect at 20 Mbit from 14 Mbit on my Billion 7800. On my old Asus DSL-N55U I could reach about 19 Mbit.
I'll just keep my current modem-router I guess.

That is unfortunate. Seems like we got off on the wrong foot here...

Right now my ADSL is connected at 9912Kbps, but I am limited to 7200Kbps, since that is all I am paying for. Does the extra headroom make any difference?

Does your ISP blame you for the SNR, for some reason?

I would like to get a good, simple modem myself. So far, the DrayTek Vigor120 is what I am planning on. PPPoA and a 1500 MTU has my interest. :)