What's new

Modern Modems That Don't Use Broadcom Chips?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NB_8

Occasional Visitor
I'm wondering if there are any good options for modems with 4 lan ports, that don't have Broadcom chipsets, and can support downlaod speeds approaching 1gb. Does anyone know of any?

Modems rarely have multiple LAN ports. Far better to hook them to a router of your choice, and use a switch if you need even more ports.

What technology do you require the modem for? DOCSIS? VDSL? Broadcom usually does quite well for DOCSIS - certainly a lot better than Intel did.

Modems rarely have multiple LAN ports. Far better to hook them to a router of your choice, and use a switch if you need even more ports.

What technology do you require the modem for? DOCSIS? VDSL? Broadcom usually does quite well for DOCSIS - certainly a lot better than Intel did.
Point taken about the ports. I was hoping to avoid an additional piece of hardware, though given how few (if any) non Broadcom based modems there seem to be I'm curious if anyone knows of a decent one that is DOCSIS.

Point taken about the ports. I was hoping to avoid an additional piece of hardware, though given how few (if any) non Broadcom based modems there seem to be I'm curious if anyone knows of a decent one that is DOCSIS.
For DOCSIS, you will first need to check what models are allowed by your ISP. Quite often, cable modems are limited to those that the ISP will support, unlike DSL that tends to be more open.

I don't know who else beside the infamous Intel Puma exist. Broadcom's DOCSIS modems are quite good in general.