What's new

Modify Files in Stock Asus Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Percius

New Around Here
All,

I love AsusWRT Merlin and have used it for years. At present I would like to utilize AI Mesh. Unfortunately I have grown accustomed to having the pre/Post config scripts that Merlin has built into /sbin/rc I would like to replace this file but otherwise leave the Asus image intact.

I can tell that the TRX file is primarly a squash FS file. I know how to mount the squash FS and modify the file. I was just wondering if someone had instructions on rebuilding the TRX file. If not I will read through the make files and figure it out.

Percius

Thanks but that isn't quite what I am looking for. This thread is about getting a compile environment and compiling Merlin's Git tree. Unfortunately Embedded in these commands is building the TRX file. To be able to modify instead of build clean I need to understand the details behind btools\fpkg

I was just hoping someone had some quick notes on the subject to resolve the issue.

Not to rain on your parade, but it's actually several rc files, and some common libraries. And the rc files may contain other Merlin modifications that are incompatible with the stock firmware.

You can trigger a script post USB mount in stock FW
nvram set script_usbmount="/jffs/scriptname"
nvram commit

This might be good enough for you depending on your requirements.

The other option is to have something else SSH into the router periodically and set stuff up if it’s not there due to recent reboot - I’m considering this (as I have a 2 node AiMesh plus my main router running Merlin which could push custom stuff to the parent AP and node).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!