What's new

More reliable and refined edgerouter lite alternative for soho?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I replaced a Mikrotik 450G with an edgerouter poe at home, and prefer the edgerouter.

Both had perfectly adequate performance for my 100/10 fiber connection, but every few months (always when I was not at home) the RB450G would not renew the external interfaces dhcp lease.

It's probably a question of preference, but I did not really ever start to like the Mikrotik management. The web UI was unintuitive and the command line differed quite a bit from both cisco and linux. If I actually had to use it frequently it would be fine, but with just one device at home I never needed to touch it enough.

The edgerouter came shortly after they were released, never crashed or glitched. It has quite a lot less features, but I never needed a fraction of microtiks features anyway, and the ones I did need (dhcp options for internal network) did not exist. Somebutils on microtik were great though.

I'd day they are quite different beasts. Mikrotik has tons of advanced features, edgerouter not so much.

I have RV180 and EdgeRouterLite. I purchased the RV180 first, and quite frankly the firmware sucks. And while the firmware for the RV180 has gotten somewhat better, it's still not very good (for example it doesn't support IPv6 for either Cable or DSL in my area).

Because of problems with the RV180 I decided to purchase the ERL. Personally I have been quite happy with the ERL. Basic setup is quite easy with the wizards of the newer firmware. More advanced options take a bit more work, but seem to be well worth it. And once set up properly the ERL seems as stable as anything.

Thanks for your findings, Dan. It appears Cisco doesn't see any profitability in investing ongoing development resources in their SMB gear (let alone some of their upper-level stuff...). A shame, as some of the RV models could be no-brainers, if they'd just bug-fix and update their d*mn firmware more than once a year... Meanwhile I may grab an ERL by the time firmware v. 1.8 or 1.9 comes out. I expect they'll have nearly all the kinks worked out by then and mostly all of the feature set accessible by right through the config tree.