What's new

More RT-AC87R issues...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phantsam

New Around Here
So I just bought this router to replace an older Linksys E3200 Wireless AP/Router. At first I liked this router. It performed exceptionally. Two days after installing it though my 2.4Ghz band is dead. My wifi reader isn't even showing it and the device itself shows the SNR at 0 and Noise at -88.

It's running 3.0.0.4.378_5134 for the firmware which appears to be the most current. I've performed a factory reset and just set simple string passwords for the SSID's. No go. I have no 2.4Ghz band anymore. The 5Ghz band works fine.

Is this a known issue? Should I just replace the dang router with a Nighthawk?

SSID: "BenF"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -89 dBm Channel: 2l
BSSID: 08:62:66:90:0D:80
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations List
----------------------------------------
MAC Associated Authorized RSSI Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time

SSID: "BenF5G"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 18 dB noise: -67 dBm Channel: 157/80
BSSID: 08:62:66:90:0D:84 Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations List
----------------------------------------
MAC Associated Authorized RSSI Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
A8:BB:CF:20:3E:C6 Yes Yes -67dBm 324M 365M 00:16:28

Sorry you have all those issues man, I went though 4 ac87r's, its a very buggy router in my opinion, FW very unstable.

Try the ac68p, its pretty stable, other then the traffic monitor not working its pretty good. Its way more stable then the ac87r, Mr. Mrelins FW is pretty good for that router.

This router is the same than RT-AC87U , please try to update the firm to the latest beta from asus or update the firmware version from Merlin
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87u-3-0-0-4_378_7449-unofficial-beta-firmware.26056/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-is-now-available.25874/page-4#post-193248

Copy from other post from sentinelvdx (Thanks a lot)

"RMerlin is same as stock but with lots of improvements and fixes, even the user interface is similar.
The unofficial betas are taken from ASUS support, so there's no problem applying it.
Merlin's firmware after applying it, if you don't like it (you'll love it), you can flash stock again without any problem.

Remember after flashing any firmware into the device, always:
-Manually reboot device when requested.
-Do a hard reset after it fully booted
-Configure it manually (don't use restore option with the .cfg file)"

If after update your 2,4 Ghz band still go bad probably this band of your router is dead and you must to return it or RMA for repair.

Thank you both for your replies. I'll look into that in the morning. I'm coming off of a long maintenance and need some sleep.

This router is the same than RT-AC87U , please try to update the firm to the latest beta from asus or update the firmware version from Merlin
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87u-3-0-0-4_378_7449-unofficial-beta-firmware.26056/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-is-now-available.25874/page-4#post-193248

Copy from other post from sentinelvdx (Thanks a lot)

"RMerlin is same as stock but with lots of improvements and fixes, even the user interface is similar.
The unofficial betas are taken from ASUS support, so there's no problem applying it.
Merlin's firmware after applying it, if you don't like it (you'll love it), you can flash stock again without any problem.

Remember after flashing any firmware into the device, always:
-Manually reboot device when requested.
-Do a hard reset after it fully booted
-Configure it manually (don't use restore option with the .cfg file)"

If after update your 2,4 Ghz band still go bad probably this band of your router is dead and you must to return it or RMA for repair.

You also might want to try DD-WRT.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/asus-rt-ac87u/

It's not as simple as the stock Asus FW, but I've found my overall reliability to be better.

Sorry to say, but the AC-RT87 is just a crappy piece of sh>>. I was luckely able to replace it with RT-AC3200, running perfect on latest firmware.

Looks that no matter what firmware you use on the RT87, one or other problem pops up!

Sorry to say, but the AC-RT87 is just a crappy piece of sh>>. I was luckely able to replace it with RT-AC3200, running perfect on latest firmware.

Looks that no matter what firmware you use on the RT87, one or other problem pops up!

Yea I tried the BETA firmware and it was stable for an hour or so and then my VPN to work started dropping. I'm reverting it to the firmware in my first post and taking it back to BestBuy and exchanging it. I may get the ac68 or just move to the NightHawk.

I have the AC3200 running for 24 hrs now and must say it's a blessing! For the time being i will not update the firmware; simply to avoid future problems.....

After using Netgear for many years (i have 4 Nas's running and i am very happy with them) i really like the GUI of Asus, and the controls. I never had that big firmware issues with Netgear, as with Asus recently. Most of the Europe shops take the RT-87 out of their stock, and return them to Asus. As i have a good and affordable isp i can provide my family and more important my customers with good wifi finally. I had 40 users on the guestnetwork at the same time and no complaints but compliments!
Of course they are not hardcore gamers, but wifi users on their smartphones. Anyway, it's this forum who helped me making my choice for the RT3200, and i thank all members for their input!

I have the AC3200 running for 24 hrs now and must say it's a blessing! For the time being i will not update the firmware; simply to avoid future problems.....

After using Netgear for many years (i have 4 Nas's running and i am very happy with them) i really like the GUI of Asus, and the controls. I never had that big firmware issues with Netgear, as with Asus recently. Most of the Europe shops take the RT-87 out of their stock, and return them to Asus. As i have a good and affordable isp i can provide my family and more important my customers with good wifi finally. I had 40 users on the guestnetwork at the same time and no complaints but compliments!
Of course they are not hardcore gamers, but wifi users on their smartphones. Anyway, it's this forum who helped me making my choice for the RT3200, and i thank all members for their input!

Well I just returned the RT-AC87R and picked up the Netgear Nighthawk x6. The GUI is reminiscent of something from the early 2000's and it scrolls your PSK in plain text on the screen when you log in. Speed wise it seems similar to the RT-AC87R. A speed test shows 31ms, 109Mbps down and 12Mbps up. I'll run this for a few days before I decide on keeping it. For $300 it better work damn well.

I already know I'll have problems up stairs since the router/ap is in the basement and it has stubby antennae. I'll probably need an extender.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!