What's new

Mount Network Shares for Use by Native FTP Server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Combat Goat

New Around Here
My network is too decentralized right now in regard to file storage and sharing. The primary device is a Fedora machine with a 12 TB share in a BTRFS pool, then there is a 4TB MyCloud that I picked up on the cheap, and finally I have a 500GB USB 3.0 drive on the RT-AC68U.

What I would like to do is mount the network shares from the MyCloud and Fedora machines on the AC68U so that I can use them in conjunction with the native FTP server and other aspects of the firmware. I realize that this could be done differently, e.g., by just mounting the other shares to the Fedora machine, forwarding the appropriate ports, and then running things from there, but on the whole the simplicity of user and share management from the AC68U firmware would be most welcome given the use-case that I have in mind.

At any rate, it seems to me that what I aim to do should be possible via SSH admin of the AC68U, but if so, then the syntax required to accomplish it eludes me. Any help would be much appreciated, even if that is just a link to existing information on this subject elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

short answer - don't do it - not when you have the linux box as well...

do the port forwards over to the linux system, manage the users/shares there - let your router be a router/firewall.

Fair enough. Just having serious headaches getting things to work correctly in conjunction with the DYN service. Suppose I could try making the linux box a DMZ and locking down from there, but I'd rather not.