What's new

Moving from RT-AC3200 to RT-AC5300, advices!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wsarahan

Hi guys how are you?

I'm from Brazil and we don't have the Asus routers here to buy at stores, all my Asus routers till now I had to import from USA or I bought when I traveled

Today I have the RT-AC3200, bought at USA last year

Is it worth a change to the new RT-AC5300? considering that I'll have to pay something about 600$ total including taxes, shipping....

And not talking about the money and just about the quality and differences, worth a change?

Any advice will be thankfull

Thanks guys and sorry about my English

$600? Well, it's not my money and you obviously have it to spend. :)

You will also be able to sell your old router to recoup some of that cost too, correct?

I say do it.

The reports on the latest Asus products has been very positive so far.

The only thing I would be wary of is if RMerlin would support it or not with his special firmware? I read in one of his posts that since the source code is not available yet, he's not sure if he's even possible to include it in his 'supported' Asus routers list.

Other than that? Spend like there is no tomorrow (because there isn't, of course). :)

$600? Well, it's not my money and you obviously have it to spend. :)

You will also be able to sell your old router to recoup some of that cost too, correct?

I say do it.

The reports on the latest Asus products has been very positive so far.

The only thing I would be wary of is if RMerlin would support it or not with his special firmware? I read in one of his posts that since the source code is not available yet, he's not sure if he's even possible to include it in his 'supported' Asus routers list.

Other than that? Spend like there is no tomorrow (because there isn't, of course). :)

For sure I'll try to sell the 3200 if I change but it's very difficult to sell this high end things here in Brazil, way expensive

600$ or even more is a lot of money that's why I need advices :)

Really don't know what to do, let's see

Thanks

If you need to know more about this router, there's an active thread in Singapore HardwareZone Forum. Go take a peek and decide for yoruself whether is it worthwhile spending that $600.

Lots of pictures & signal strength posted by users when this model was launched there recently.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/[maylyn-networking]-asus-rt-ac5300-5230028.html

Thanks, I'll take a look

But what's your opinion? Worth the change?

Thanks, I'll take a look

But what's your opinion? Worth the change?

There's some firmware issues for some users and ASUS is aware and fixing it. Other than that from what I read, the feedback is good so far.

Just read the link provided by oric1 (thanks!), all 17 pages.

It seems like it is worth testing it as it offers '1.67x' more WiFi performance than the AC3200 with it's 12x low distortion power amps.

However, if returning it is expensive or impossible, then just buying it to test doesn't seem prudent.

But 67% better than what you currently have is still tempting to find out if it works in your environment, no?

Just read the link provided by oric1 (thanks!), all 17 pages.

It seems like it is worth testing it as it offers '1.67x' more WiFi performance than the AC3200 with it's 12x low distortion power amps.

However, if returning it is expensive or impossible, then just buying it to test doesn't seem prudent.

But 67% better than what you currently have is still tempting to find out if it works in your environment, no?

Thanks

But as you said, the return is always impossible to this Asus products here in Brazil, we need to play with lucky

Do the clients need to be updated as well or does the 5300 play well with ordinary AC clients ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!