What's new

Mr. Black malware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Leaving your router open to remote administration is an open invitation to hackers. Failing to change the default username and password is just plain stupid and lazy.

Probly so. I have recently come to the opinion that routers should be built to not work until admin credentials are set up (probably via a direct connection)

some isp's do these measures, they will either supply routers with non standard passwords set, or force a user to set a new password before it goes online.

so it is possible, but for whatever reason we dont see that on routers sold directly to consumers, and on custom firmwares like dd-wrt etc.

some routers have backdoors and vulnerabilities that even without remote administration they can still be hacked. Im never fond of using consumer routers as they are.

Beyond the most basic of designs, everything is vulnerable.

I liked the internet more when it was more about exploration primarily as a curiosity with optional sinister undertones. Vulns are a serious business now with the internet being a literal life-line for so much.

The number one thing to do to protect your router is to turn WPS off!!
Every new Xfinity router has WPS on by default.
I can crack your password in under 10 seconds with my little Aspire laptop running Linux and using a Reaver with Pixy attack.
There is no brute force required! Hiding your SSID wont help, changing the routers password wont help, WPA2/AES or TKIP doesn't matter....
It doesnt matter how long your password is.... I'll have it in 10 seconds!
TURN OFF WPS!!!!!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!