What's new

MS reducing Windows phone effort, streamlines business

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Many people think that MS is invasive enough and draw the line with phones and tablets.

I looked at WinPhone - wasn't bad, just not my particular cuppa joe...

In Smartphones - someone is always going to be poking in the sensitive spots of your data and usage - Google, Apple, they do it, the apps do it, the carriers do it... and yes, in certain countries, even the gov'ts do it.

I just look at MSFT and WinPhone as a missed opportunity - they stuck with ARM chips when they should have played the same game as they did on the desktop - the SOPHIA chips that Intel recently cancelled would have been a good fit, and kept them from being overly dependent on ARM chip providers that were enabling the very thing that competed against those efforts.

Says a lot about Linux, FOSS, and ARM - Android on ARM is hard to beat. Two of the largest companies in Tech just walked away from that market...

Perhaps they should have hooked up with Intel and run Windows Phone OS on the Atoms...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...f-smartphone-hardware-business-300274560.html

I believe even Intel is cancelling its next gen Mobile Atom, looks like they to haven't made a big enough dent in the mobile market CPU wise. Seems that they did manage to get their LTE modems into next gen iPhones though. Even Qualcomm was earlier facing pressure from activist investors to exit the CPU market, possibly due to increased competition/price pressure espescially in the low-mid end from Mediatek and also the fact that some companies are making their own chips.

Let's be pretty clear - Intel cancelled a atom variant that few folks have ever seen... these were mobile phone oriented chips - SoC's with integrated 4G modems.

Low Power Intel Arch (LPIA) - still happening... Braswell is doing fine, and we're seeing their BOM reduced variant discussed as Apollo Lake (Airmont 14nm), and they're moving forward with that one...

From a recon side on the retail front - the really cheap Intel/Windows boxes are getting scarce - the sub-200 USD level seems to have been cut loose to the ChromeOS ARM machines...