What's new

Multicast Rate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ColH

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I notice that this option has 'Disable' through to '54'.
However the pop-up help for this item recommends it be set to 'Auto' which as far as I can see doesn't exists as an option.

Should this be available?

Thanks,

Colin

(Edit) this is on an N66U with Merlin's latest firmware.

Last edited:
Hi,

I had the same question: What do the values for the Multicast Rate mean?
Some are the same between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but some more options in 2.4GHz.

Any explanation available? :confused:

Thank you for your kind feedback!
With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I wouldn't mind betting that this is a spelling mistake.

For instance, log out of the router gui and read what it says! That's been in there from day one!

Minimum connection speed to recieve multicast packets

My understanding of this setting(Multicast Rate) is to tell the router how strong a wireless connection a client needs to have in order to receive multicast packets. If a client has a weak wireless signal, you might want them to only be sent traffic that they requested, instead of also including multicast packets.

If I had a streaming TV signal, I might change the Multicast Rate to something higher so as not to bog down the weaker connections.

This would be why Auto is not an option.

Edit: My earlier post confused Broadcast (ie. mDNS) and Multicast. Here is a helpful link on that:
http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/internet/ip/addresses/unicast_vs_broadcast.shtml

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!