What's new

Multiple powerline from different router lan ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kape

New Around Here
Hi guys! 1)The situation is following: a house with 3 floors. On each floor there are few ethernet sockets connected to a switch and a router on the 1-st floor. I want to organize wifi network with many APs. All rooms on each floor are connected by a hall (L-shaped). But ethernet sockets are located in the rooms (and only some of them) therefore wifi signal degrades because of walls. To solve this situation I want to put wifi APs in the hall, two on each floor by the use of powerline adapters.

As I understand if I put one powerline adapter near router on one lan port and then pair all other powerline adapters with it, the signal quality on the third floor will be very bad.

But I have separate ethernet sockets on each floor.

The question is can I put separate powerline adapters pairs on each floor? Each pair will then be connected to a different ethernet socket. But considering they are on the same electrical wiring will there be any interference with each other and a resulting bandwidth decrease?

If not maybe I can even use two different pairs on each floor? One pair will be in one side of the hall connected to a nearby room ethernet socket and the other in the other side of the hall connected to a different room socket?

2)Is using wifi extenders/repeaters a better alternative?

Unless your walls are very thick, the difference between APs in rooms and halls may not be significant. Before you go to all the trouble with powerline, why not try different AP locations using the Ethernet jacks?

Like Wi-Fi, powerline signals share the same spectrum, just in a wired environment. There is not a lot you can do to prevent this, except physically separating the AC mains circuits.

On the first floor there is no ethernet socket so I would have to connect wifi ap to router directly. And router is located in a small room near garage. To reach dining room from there it would have to penetrate 2-3 walls.

So there is no way to create isolated powerline streams?

On the first floor there is no ethernet socket so I would have to connect wifi ap to router directly. And router is located in a small room near garage. To reach dining room from there it would have to penetrate 2-3 walls.
Why not use instead use powerline between modem and router WAN port to move the router to a more central location?

So there is no way to create isolated powerline streams?
Not without isolating the AC mains.