What's new

Multiple public static IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uzmark

New Around Here
Dear community, I think I need help. The more I read and google the more confused I get.

We are changing to a new ISP provider. We are going from two separate internet connections, each with a public static IP and each delivered from a separate ethernet cable.

With the new ISP we will get an 5 public static IPs delivered from 1 ethernet cable. All I want is to have these public IPs avaliable to each of our applications.

Currently there is one network that is a point to point VPN, that I'd like to assign one of the public IPs.
Then there is another other network (office network) that I'd like to assign a second public IP.
In the future we plan to set up a sFTP server that id like to assign a third IP and possibly another VPN connection that I'd like to assign a fourth public IP.

How do I do this?

I have a Cisco RV082 router/Firewall that I think should be able to handle this (if not then I will buy a new device). Ideally I'd like to connect the etherenet cable from our ISP to the WAN side to the RV082 and map each public IP to a separate ethernet port (the RV082 has 8 LAN ports). But I suspect that's not how it works. Probably I set the public IP addresses in the devices I connect to the RV082 and somehow configure RV082 to hand out these public IPs?

Here is the information from ISP

Net address XX.XXX.157.0
IP range start XX.XXX.157.2
IP range end XX.XXX.157.6
Gateway XX.XXX.157.1
DNS 1 XX.XXX.128.2
DNS 2 XX.XXX.128.3
Net mask 255.255.255.248
Broadcast XX.XXX.157.7

If anyone have any advice I will be more than happy.

Thanks
Markus

First thing i would do is get rid of the cisco RV router as they're horrible. Get something like a proper cisco or juniper router or perhaps mikrotik or ubiquiti.

All you have to do is set up load balancing and ubiquiti is easier than mikrotik for configuring it however you can do all sorts of stuff with both. The problem is that your router doesnt have CPU connected ports. Browse for some proper routers that have CPU connected ports.

What you are thinking of is called classical routing.
This is not what your ISP gave you.

One example of the way it will work is as follows:
xx.xxx.157.2->router, NAT Masquerade->192.168.1.x/24 network
xx.xxx.157.3->router, One-to-One DNAT->192.168.1.10/32 VPN server 1
xx.xxx.157.4->router, One-to-One DNAT->192.168.1.11/32 VPN server 2
xx.xxx.157.5->router, One-to-Many SNAT->192.168.2.x/24 DMZ network
xx.xxx.157.6->rouer, One-to-One DNAT->192.168.2.10/32 DMZ server

Thanks for the input, we received the connection today from our ISP.

I did an initial test by connecting a pc to the ethernet cable from the ISP, and manually configured the network settings using one of the public IPs as IP address and then entered the mask, gateway and dns accordingly. In theory this should have worked, right? (It didn't).

I would think the public IPs would come down as DHCP. The first device would receive the first IP address and the second device would receive the second IP address, etc. until all public IP addresses are assigned.
Did your PC not receive a public IP address when plugged straight into the modem?

It depends on how the provider set it up.
There could be a /30 address that you need to connect to first and the other addresses are allowed to route through that gateway.

Eg
xx.xxx.100.1/30 gateway
xx.xxx.100.2/30 your router
and then behind this router . . .
xx.xxx.157.x/29 subnet with your router as the gateway.

It is resolved now. Thanks all for your help. The ISP had not actually yet activated the service (although they told me it was ready to test)... Works fine now!