What's new

Multiple sporadic reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smurr

New Around Here
hi folks,

I’ve got a brand new AXE 16000. Just configured it, updated to lastest wrt firmware, plugged and … got sporadic reboot without anything in the syslog … reboot (uptime reset in syslog)
I’ve made an hard reset, reset to factory default, injected firmware by Ethernet, and again reset to factory défaut, updated to beta firmware … it result in self reboot over and over in random uptime, 7 min, 37 min, 3 min, 19 min …

I’m out of ideas and think that may be related to an hardware issue( memory, proc, chipset …)

any ideas ? RMA time ?

hi folks,

I’ve got a brand new AXE 16000. Just configured it, updated to lastest wrt firmware, plugged and … got sporadic reboot without anything in the syslog … reboot (uptime reset in syslog)
I’ve made an hard reset, reset to factory default, injected firmware by Ethernet, and again reset to factory défaut, updated to beta firmware … it result in self reboot over and over in random uptime, 7 min, 37 min, 3 min, 19 min …

I’m out of ideas and think that may be related to an hardware issue( memory, proc, chipset …)

any ideas ? RMA time ?
If it is brand new return it to where you got it. Quicker than RMA.

yeah it’s a brand new « out of the box » but, there’s a but? That was an anniversary present. So it has been bought 2 month ago cos there’s a lot of pb of stock availability on this product. So I alway can return it to the web marchant for guaranty but this Is a pain in the … to return it in France cos of the size of the product and there’s again no stock for a while …

Got an idea during the night … is it possible that it comes from the ac/dc adapter ? a power outage from the ça/dc adapter can make this router reboot I think … its a real problem that is nothing in syslog to know where does it come from…

I had same issue on an AX89X. Disabling AiProtection solved it. No idea if it will for you but worth a try.

Thx for your advice but I haven’t enable the AI protection. My old router is a GT AC5300 so I took it back and trying to do some tests one by one. Again hard reset to factory default, configuring again. I put the router in a room wit no wan and just 2 wifi devices from Apple. Actually the uptime is 7 hours. So I’m gonna try tomorrow wan test with a minimum Ethernet connections. Last time just using Netflix rebooted 2 times the router but … with doing nothing too with some devices connected on. May be it can be related to a device. On my AC5300 with early firmware (this was a pain in the … too with this one) connecting a msi notebook on the WiFi network rebooted the router every time the notebook connected to the WiFi … so maybe something like that again …

Ok … i give up … this morning I tried to to connect the router to the wan after a night just in WiFi with no reboot during the night: again when the wan is connected and RJ45 plugged in (just the Xbox and tv plugged and working on my AC 5300 for years) reboot in 15 min … go back to the web vendor … Asus has dropped down in quality since years ? where Is the quality control ?

Ok … i give up … this morning I tried to to connect the router to the wan after a night just in WiFi with no reboot during the night: again when the wan is connected and RJ45 plugged in (just the Xbox and tv plugged and working on my AC 5300 for years) reboot in 15 min … go back to the web vendor … Asus has dropped down in quality since years ? where Is the quality control ?
I think RMA is your only option. Even that doesn't guarantee it isn't a design/firmware issue.

I don't know how the average person does it. And it's not like you can spend more & solve issues. In many ways, spending more puts you on the cutting edge and introduces more issues.

Yeah thx Brad. I returned my GT-AXE16000 to the official maintenance firm of the well known web vendor and seems and i say seems to be dead ... I say "dead" cos you will see below that i think the router wasn't faulty. (sorry for my bad english) .
After acceptation of my refund, i bought another GT-AXE16000 (yeah a really want this one i waited too long ...) and guess what ... same thing ... I know that i am an unluky guy, but 2 times in a row ... if i'm soooooo unluky, I'm gonna pray to "lourde" ...

So i tried to investigate furthermore thinking that i comes from a wifi device or an ethernet device of mine. Issue already occured with my old GT-AC5300 with a notebook from MSI that crashed my router everytime it tried to connect ... (MSI fault it seems cos after a firmware upgrade of the notebook the issue was resolved)

So, at the first time (defaul config (no AI protect etc ...) with the use of SSID's simples names etc , hard reset WPS method, upgrade lastest firmware RJ45, hard reset, ...) i do not connect any wifi device to test the wan and ethernet devices one by one ... Same thing reboot, reboot, reboot (uptime i speak) and nothing in the asus syslog like always.
So it can come from a wifi device cos no wifi device were connected and all the ethernet devices and ports have been tested (2x10gbit and 4x1gbits)
I decided to give up and wait for the next generation wifi 7 router ... again ...

I've read that some ppl having the same troubles have their troubles disappear after a firmware update month after ... and others says that merlin's firmware save them too. I never tried merlin firmware cos there's no firmware for my GT-AC5300. And like merlin says himself his firmwares are asus base tweaked by himself with some kernels libraries upgrade (if i understand well). So i doudt it can solve my problem ...
And guess what: with the 388.2.2 merlin firmware my GT-AXE16000 works like a charm with my 20 client (14 wifi ans 6 ethernet clients)

Merlin, your are really a magician like the nickname you choose to take. A really great many thanks for you great work (seen in the logs in the asus wrt who take your job in there init of their own routers ...)

Just one thing i have seen (minor bug) in the GT ui it seems that sometimes it do not refresh the name of the devices and hung (not the router just the ui) and the refresh button do not refelect the devices connected in "real time". It maybe just the GT UI and not in the xalssic UI but i will give it a try later.

Anyway a big thx again merlin you my idol ;p

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!