What's new

Multiple SSIDs across multiple routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tygerr

New Around Here
I’d like to setup a router with three SSIDs: one for the main network on 2.4Ghz, one for the main network on 5Ghz, and one for the guest network (i.e. no access to local network – internet only) with the same SSID for both 2.4/5Ghz. Like this:

SSID_2G
SSID_5G
SSID_Guest

Most of the AC class routers I’ve looked at seem to support this functionality without any hassles.

However, I live in a house where all the walls/ceilings are concrete so the only way to get adequate wifi coverage on both floors of the house is to put in a second router/AP. I have gigabit Ethernet cabling running between the two points where the router would be upstairs and the router would be downstairs so I don’t need to do any Wi-Fi bridging or repeating. I’m simply planning on buying a second identical AC class router and putting it in AP mode (no DHCP).

Setup would be:

MODEM---(Ethernet)---Wifi-ROUTER---(Ethernet)---Wifi-ROUTER/AP

After reading through the forums about setting up guest networks I’ve realised it gets complicated when trying to isolate guest networks if you're using more than one router.

In my setup, given that both routers can independently set to the three SSID’s I would like to use, what would happen when I link the two routers together over the Ethernet? Would the guest SSID functionality of the second router in AP mode still work? Or would all the clients on that router be able to connect to any client on the main router regardless of whether they’re on the guest SSID?

I’d like to setup a router with three SSIDs: one for the main network on 2.4Ghz, one for the main network on 5Ghz, and one for the guest network (i.e. no access to local network – internet only) with the same SSID for both 2.4/5Ghz. Like this:

SSID_2G
SSID_5G
SSID_Guest

Most of the AC class routers I’ve looked at seem to support this functionality without any hassles.

However, I live in a house where all the walls/ceilings are concrete so the only way to get adequate wifi coverage on both floors of the house is to put in a second router/AP. I have gigabit Ethernet cabling running between the two points where the router would be upstairs and the router would be downstairs so I don’t need to do any Wi-Fi bridging or repeating. I’m simply planning on buying a second identical AC class router and putting it in AP mode (no DHCP).

Setup would be:

MODEM---(Ethernet)---Wifi-ROUTER---(Ethernet)---Wifi-ROUTER/AP

After reading through the forums about setting up guest networks I’ve realised it gets complicated when trying to isolate guest networks if you're using more than one router.

In my setup, given that both routers can independently set to the three SSID’s I would like to use, what would happen when I link the two routers together over the Ethernet? Would the guest SSID functionality of the second router in AP mode still work? Or would all the clients on that router be able to connect to any client on the main router regardless of whether they’re on the guest SSID?
no effect on the router/APs.
Just set the same SSIDs on each, put them on different channels if there is interference,
Use virtual network to isolate and control which SSID can access which net devices. See tutorial on this site.

no effect on the router/APs.
Just set the same SSIDs on each, put them on different channels if there is interference,
Use virtual network to isolate and control which SSID can access which net devices. See tutorial on this site.

Using a guest network on an AP doesn't isolate it from your local network. I have an AC1900 running stock ASUS firmware that I use for an AP and I just tested to confirm this. When I connect to a guest network running on the AP I can access my NAS, Printer, etc. which are connected by Ethernet cable to my router.

I run my guest networks on my router only. I never use the guest networks SSIDs on the AP for "guests".

While it might be possible to do what you want it won't be just a simple setting in the GUI. You might be able to accomplish some of what you want by double NATing your second router behind the first.

Using a guest network on an AP doesn't isolate it from your local network. I have an AC1900 running stock ASUS firmware that I use for an AP and I just tested to confirm this. When I connect to a guest network running on the AP I can access my NAS, Printer, etc. which are connected by Ethernet cable to my router.

I run my guest networks on my router only. I never use the guest networks SSIDs on the AP for "guests".

While it might be possible to do what you want it won't be just a simple setting in the GUI. You might be able to accomplish some of what you want by double NATing your second router behind the first.
VLANs and a few firewall rules can isolate the Guest access. Also MAC controls can be used.

Some AP's in the consumer space can do this - but it's not documented...

Apple does do the secondary SSID, and binds this to VLAN1003 for the 11n/11ac Airports - this is so they can extend the "guest" WLAN across multiple AP's in a roaming config...

So read between the lines and play the VLAN's...

(and test like you know what...)

I’d like to setup a router with three SSIDs

But I'll ask the question here...

WHY?

From a user perspective, it's cumbersome, and from an admin perspective, it's a lot of work to manage multiple SSID's...

I live in a house where all the walls/ceilings are concrete so the only way to get adequate wifi coverage on both floors of the house is to put in a second router/AP.

Put them on a common backhaul - and this would be the common DS...

Put WAP's on the same SSID, and the clients should pick and chose with AP to align/associate with.

Thanks for the responses. From what I'd read I figured it might require VLANs and a lot of extra work.

But I'll ask the question here...

WHY?

From a user perspective, it's cumbersome, and from an admin perspective, it's a lot of work to manage multiple SSID's...

I want to use the guest SSID simply to avoid having to give out the password to my main network every time I have people over.

Put them on a common backhaul - and this would be the common DS...

Put WAP's on the same SSID, and the clients should pick and chose with AP to align/associate with.

That's how my network is currently set up. The file server on the network is still inaccessible due to the way the samba shares are set up, but I was hoping for guests not to be accessing the local network at all.

I might have to switch around where my main router and AP are located, since the router is in a room furthest away from where guests are likely to use the guest SSID.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online