What's new

My router crashed tonight

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IsaacFL

Regular Contributor
I have Asus RT-AC1900P with Merlin 384.3 installed on 2/16/2018 (have always had Merlin since I bought router)

I was wondering what would happen if I tried to block my Samsung TV ipv4 access to internet (it has ipv6 also)

So first I went to DHCP Server - Manually assigned IP and tried to change the ip to 127.0.0.1 (I had already assigned a manual ip for it). This gave an error message that invalid ip. So I don't think this actually did anything.

So then, I went to Network Map - Client List (on right) and clicked to block internet access.
It acted like it worked, but I noticed the yellow mark on the DDNS update, and when I went to check, the router crashed. Spouse streaming TV not happy.

It did reboot on its own and I saved the syslog after reboot.

Just an observation. Afraid to try anything else (Spouse) at this time, but interesting thing, since as long as I have had this router, it has never crashed.

Clever that the DHCP server prevented you from assigning 127.0.0.1. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

I didn’t know you could block Internet access by device in Network Map; must be something new: I’m still on 380.68_4.

Has the yellow exclamation mark on DDNS update disappeared?

Now you know why there’s the old adage: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Everything seems to be working after the reboot, other than a little less hair on my spouse afflicted head.

I was just wondering if some of my IOT type devices would work end to end with ipv6 only. So I thought Samsung Tv I use as monitor on my computer would be the perfect to test.

It is all fun until someone’s eye gets poked out.

It is all fun until someone’s eye gets poked out.

I know the feeling only too well. And as you can now turn off Internet access by device, it’s worth occasionally turning off spouse’s connectivity. When she tells you it’s not working, tell her you’ll log in as administrator and see what the problem is. Half an hour later connect her up again and tell her these things need constant maintenance and protection from The Evil Forces trying to break in. Perhaps then she’ll take unlimited access as a privilege rather than a right.

Last edited: