What's new

My RT-AC88U bombed on Cloudflare DNS servers today - SOLVED

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregory Phillips

Very Senior Member
I've never had this happen before but my router suddenly dropped the wan connection today and no matter what I did short of a reset would get it to reconnect to the ISP. Once I reset it and let it reboot going through the automatic setup procedure it would connect to the net.

If I tried to restore the previous setting file it would bomb immediately forcing me to manually reenter my settings which took. Once I did this I noticed that the signature settings had been updated with today's date. Have any of you had this happen?

I was running Cloudflare DNS settings at the time and each time I tried anything including using other providers DNS settings they all failed the same way until I factory reset it. I discarded all saved configurations so I wouldn't run into this issue again. Currently I'm on Comast DNS servers but plan to try reinserting the other services later so I can save their configuration files to make it easier to restore later on.

Yikes, that hasn’t happened on mine but I have not installed updates recently. Are you using ASUS or Merlin WRT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm running the stock firmware version 384.21045 and have chose to remain on the Comcast DNS servers.

My date has been stuck on 2018/05/25 21:37 for at least 3 updates. I just ran the check a few minutes ago and the version went from 2.078 to 2.080 but the date was unchanged. Same thing happened in June when I ran the check and it went to 2.078. Also, isn't this supposed to update automatically? RT-AC68P running 3.0.0.4.384_21140 as of a few days ago.

My date has been stuck on 2018/05/25 21:37 for at least 3 updates. I just ran the check a few minutes ago and the version went from 2.078 to 2.080 but the date was unchanged. Same thing happened in June when I ran the check and it went to 2.078. Also, isn't this supposed to update automatically? RT-AC68P running 3.0.0.4.384_21140 as of a few days ago.
the date doesn't change when it's updated manually (that's what my observation)
it does update automatically
just remotely check one of my router oversea (ac66u_b1), time over there is already 21st
Untitled.png
while mine is still 2.078 (ac3100), still 20th.

Well I got up this morning and the WAN port was down so I've initiated an RMA for the router. I tried factory resetting it and it would not come back. At least I have AT&T VDSL as a secondary ISP so I just moved everything over to it so we can keep going.

After I moved all equipment off it I let it sit there for several hours and suddenly it started working again. I'd already checked the modem logs and it never lost its ISP connection nor did the indicators on its front panel show anything amiss. I look forward to getting a replacement router from Asus.

It's Monday morning and the router hasn't even hiccuped once since coming back online so I'm at a loss. I'm going to speak to tech support again before I RMA it just to get their opinion.

Turns out that my problem was caused by the Cloudflare DNS servers which went down on the 20th for technical issues. I've since tried Comcast and Google both of which are working fine and connect immediately so my problem has been solved.:D

Reactions: kfp