What's new

mysterious DLNA server appeared briefly on my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
Does anybody know if there are devices out there, other than the D-Link DSM-G600 that would identify themselves as "DSM-G600"?

Last night for about 15 minutes, a DLNA server showed up on my PS3 as "DSM-G600" and the XMB notifier in the upper right-hand corner kept flashing "DLNA error". I wasn't able to connect to it.

The odd thing is, I don't have a D-Link DSM-G600 and according to my router, there wasn't one connected to my network.

I do have two DLNA media servers - one is a Buffalo Linkstation NAS and the other is my WRT1900AC router. They both appear under their device names so I have ruled them out.

My wife has a Galaxy Tab and Galaxy S4 and I know those devices have some media stuff in them like AllShare but I can't find the settings anywhere. Also we have a couple of Sony BR players that support something called Party Streaming - I've tried watching video on those devices to see if they induce the behavior but I can't reproduce it.

Any ideas?

Could a neighbor have set up a new one and not yet locked it down ? Any strange black cars parked in your street with opaque windows and a bevy of antennas on their roofs :D

Could a neighbor have set up a new one and not yet locked it down ?

Closest neighbor is well over a mile away. Plus, I would think for my PS3 to see it it would have to be on my network. My guest network uses LAN isolation and my private SSID is secured with a 48-character randomly-generated key. It couldn't just be anybody. And you can't see my network from the road either. They would have had to have been within a few feet of my house, or INSIDE IT. :eek:

Any strange black cars parked in your street with opaque windows and a bevy of antennas on their roofs :D

Now THAT is what I'm worried about. I did see hovering black helicopter the other day. ;)

In all seriousness, i think it HAS to be a device already on my network reporting in error.

Add a letter or something at the end of it's name, if it shows up again with the new name you know that's where it's coming from. Did you happen to install mini-dlna on that at some point ?

That's the thing.

If I enable DLNA on the Linksys router, it shows up with the Twonky media icon and the manufacturer is listed as "TwonkyMedia". The name is my router's name and it shows a MAC address.

When I enable DLNA on the NAS it shows up with an icon that looks like my exact model of Linkstation and the manufacturer is listed as "Buffalo". The name is my NAS' name and it shows a MAC address.

This one appeared only twice, briefly, and it showed a generic network server icon, the name "DSM-G600", and no MAC address. It kept flashing connection errors, so I didn't even have a chance to select "more info".

I should add, DSM-G600 appears to be a relatively popular D-Link wireless media server but I don't own one nor have I ever owned any D-Link device.

Thats about all I got, I've just started digging into the media features on my Marantz 1604 so this dnla stuff is pretty new to me. Hoping everyone is out of the house this weekend so I can experiment uninterrupted and not get buried in the honey do....

So I was looking at the Network Map in my router today and ran across a device labeled "Network Device" with a generic icon.

It was offline, so I wasn't able to get an IP address but the MAC address was 08:C0:45:00:2F:80.

That doesn't appear to be a valid MAC address, at least not that I can find in several of the OUI lookup websites.

I was just thinking about this...

That DNLA name is a fairly old D-link NAS box...

The WRT1900ac defaults Wireless Guest Networking to true, and it's an open WiFi connection with a captive portal - a device would have to attach, and get an IP, redirecting DNS to the captive portal for authentication..

Wonder if this is what's going on here?

sfx

A device connecting to the Guest network would have a 192.168.3.x address though. I use 10.x.x.x for my internal network. Seems odd that any of my LAN devices would be able to see it or that it would show up in the Network Map as an internal device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!